What's new

In-game slowdown that doesnt affect VI/s?

loopsider

i noticed that re-volt slowed down in pj64 but its FPS display stayed at 60, there are other games that do this as well (extreme-g2 is the only other one i remember), i know this happens in SNES emulation but sometimes i know that it doesnt happen in the real N64. (i know revolt is a known issue but why does it stay at 60 hz?)

OP
L

loopsider

Allnatural said:
You're comparing two unrelated numbers.

i, being a regular computer user was never told what the two really mean. i always thought VI/s were constant and FPS wasnt. games with 20 FPS (like zelda and such) in NTSC will have always 60 VI/s correct? and higher framerate games still have 60 VI/s right?

so when your FPS counter on Pj64 goes down what does that mean?
When FPS counter on any other video plugin (true FPS) goes down, what does that show?

Allnatural

If the VI/s drops, it's generally because your computer isn't fast enough to run the emulator.

If the FPS drops (as displayed by the plugin), it's either because of poor game code (the kind of slow-down you'd see on a real N64) or because the plugin can't render some complicated effects, like framebuffer, etc. It could also be a general incompatibility with certain games I suppose.

-edit-

Having said all this, I'll admit that I may be talking out of my ass. This is just my general understanding of things.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
The last thing you could try , is to lower the counter factor . It can fix slowdowns in games ( Rayman 2 , Banjo ) or decrease the loading time in some Games ( Banjo-Tooie ) . But some games are running too fast with a too low CF ( DKR )

OP
L

loopsider

H3ad5h0tter said:
The last thing you could try , is to lower the counter factor . It can fix slowdowns in games ( Rayman 2 , Banjo ) or decrease the loading time in some Games ( Banjo-Tooie ) . But some games are running too fast with a too low CF ( DKR )

good trick, it did work for a lot of my games, but re-volt wont work. i didnt expect it to work since its a known issue, it slows down with most any plugin, but i still need to fiddle with it more before i pronounce it unplayable though.