What's new

How do you tell if your game is selfbootable?

lil' Hobo

If I had a game and it didnt work theres 2 possiblilities.

1) its corrupt

2) its not self booting

How do I check easily?

Thank you.

Also, probably should put this in exo's thread about his GUI, is there an error trap to check an img to see if it it selfbootable in your program. Sure if the person is stupid enough to put a already selfbooting game into your program, they halfway get what they deserve. So much time wasted!

Thank you. :paperbag:

Ennok

You check easily if it works on a regular DC ... Try that!! If you don't have a DC to try it on .. then dont bother posting!! good day!

Whirlinurd

Hi, I can think about a few things how to check if your game is bootable other than checking it on a real dreamcast.

- Insert your image in Alcohol 120%. Drag your image into your main window and select in Alcohol the properties of the image. If the first track is an audio track around 1mb big then your image is already made bootable. I haven't seen any .bin images that are bootable so I can say somewhat sure that they never are.

- If you use Deamon Tools you can use Nero. There are also a few images that only work in Deamon Tools 3.29. Insert your image in the virtual drive and select Disc Info and the drive that contains the image and check the same as I said above.

- The last thing I know that is not 100% is using BinFinder on Page 7 of Gui for Selfboot topic. Insert your image in your virtual drive. Run BinFinder and select your drive. Now press Find Bin File. The program should now give the file that makes your game bootable. If not the program should say that no selfbootable bin file has been found.

- Finally when using chankast. If your game hangs on the grey screen and chankast crashed anyway your game is also bootable but not supported (compatable) with chankast.

That's it. Hope it helps.

OP
L

lil' Hobo

Why thank you Whirlinurd, that post was the non jackass response I was wishing for.

I have a real Dreamcast, thank you very much.

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Whirlinurd said:
The last thing I know that is not 100% is using BinFinder on Page 7 of Gui for Selfboot topic. Insert your image in your virtual drive. Run BinFinder and select your drive. Now press Find Bin File. The program should now give the file that makes your game bootable. If not the program should say that no selfbootable bin file has been found.
hmm... you can't say if it's selfbootable by this way, even if it's not selfbootable, you will always find a "bin" file (katana or wince), this file is needed to launch the app/game... if you don't find this file, it's only because binfinder is not 100% effective.
lil' Hobo said:
.Why thank you Whirlinurd, that post was the non jackass response I was wishing for.
lol, the answers by Ennok and mezkal were not a personnal attack, there is to many guys here without a dreamcast, that's why they have responded like that...