What's new

Getting MvC2: Need Info

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
Hey people, I'm finally getting to play one of most favorite and coveted games of all time using Chankast :drool:. I'm doing the right thing and buying the game either at Ebgames or Ebay. I wanted to know if I should be aware of anything before I buy it. Here are my specs for my own system:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+: 1.53 GHz
NVidia GeForce2 MX 440
256 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro
DirectX 9(b I'll assume)

I'm hoping that I can a least run MvC2 on this system. Chankast does run in the BIOS for me it's that really matters. I do have a higher end machine at my father's house that should make the cut. If there's anything else I need to know before I buy it please let me know.

OP
F

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
So you are saying that PCs cannot read the data on gd-rom and I cannot use a utility to grab an image from that game and mount it on a virtual drive. You need to have the cables and crap to do it. If so, I will just forget it because I don't have a DreamCast (and if I did I would never mention this stuff) and cables.

Clements

You NEED a dreamcast and a coders cable/broadband adapter to rip a DC game.

GD-ROMs are not detected properly in any PC drive so there is no way to rip it with any utility. Same with Gamecube disks.

S0LAR

apparently, if you legally own the GD-rom, you are entitled to download a rip version of the same game, as long as you don't share it with others who don't own it... is that right?

mezkal

Man on a mission
Actually it's not right. The extenuating circumstances that allow you to have a "backup" copy of any electronically stored media "for personal use" only extends to something you own and personally copy. The only legitimate way he may obtain his "backup copy for personal use" would be to rip it via the BBA and Coder's Cable. Downloading a cracked rip "warez" release is not a legitamite way to obtain the "backup".

Aside from all of that, backup copies are only legally valid if you can prove that copying them does not break any licensing issues as governed by the license that comes with the software. In this case any backups of GD-ROM format Dreamcast games are ILLEGAL. That's just the way it is guys. Sorry.

However in making his own copy using a real Dreamcast with the BBA and the Coder's Cable he *could* argue that he wasn't promoting piracy as he owned the game and did not source it via illegitimate means.

Cheers

Last edited:

Mant0r

-0r
Pretty sure its dependent on the country you live in Mez.

I'm fairly sure that in UK if you own it then you are free to download copies of it at will.

Feel free to prove me wrong though, it wouldnt be the first time :)

Trotterwatch

I really don't think the law would be with you on that one Mant0r, though I would say that morally I have no problems with it. If someone goes out and buys a game but has no way to transfer it to the comp, I have no moral objection to them downloading a copy. Sadly morality and legality isn't the same :)

OP
F

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
Well, I have to say that I'm one lucky bitch. The dude who sent the game sent a copied version with one of those Utopia boot disks. I tried it out on my computer and had a hard time getting it to work because it was saying wrong cable. So, I finally noticed that there is a cable option in Chankast so I switched it to the other one. It took forever to load the game and it played Super Slow, but I was glad it was working. Anyways, I noticed that I had forgotten to turn on the Capcom hack. Turned it on, and WHAM the game started going faster. It's still somewhat slow before loading something and the speed in the game is medium since I'm running off CD, but I'll rip the images and getting the recommend Daemon tools so I can play it faster. Right now I'm having problems with my VMU. Apparently the information goes corrupt for some reason and I lost several fighters and a stage in MvC2. I'm either going to see if I can get it to be good for me or download a save. Any good places for game saves?

OP
F

FighterFan

Fighting Game Fanatic
It's kind of too late now, the game works fine for me on Chankast and the VMU hasn't hiccuped on me in a while.