What's new

Mupen64 and amd64?

dremspider

dremspider
I am using suse 9.1 for 64 bit machines. I currently have an athlon 64 and it runs great. My problem is this... mupen 64 the binaries are very unstable, on the other hand, it won't let me compile the source due to the fact that I am not using an x86 machine. The input device is very unstable, It will often crash when I hit a button on my joystick, whenever I exit out of a game, it locks up. Also I have an adaptoid w/ an N64 controller, and some of the buttons wouldn't work, they will program fine, but Z, and all the C buttons just plan flat out do nothing, I got around this w/ qjoypad, and mapped the controller to the keyboard. My question is has anyone got this to run stable on amd64, and if so how? though I must say I ran it in windows, 32 bit of course, and it runs a lot smoother under suse64. I am not sure if that is the extra registers or what, that is why I am so annoyed, and want to get it to work :) .

Also how do I get goldeneye to stop flashing on multiplayer?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It seems to be a problem with the input plugin or with the 64 bit joystick driver.... I'm not sure. I know that the dynarec can't be compiled in 64 bit. It may be possible to compile the rest correctly with some minor modifications but i haven't tested. Opengl applications runs generally faster on linux because there are generally less background tasks than on windows. Extra registers aren't used at all because it's a 32 bits application.

Do u have tried other gfx plugins for your goldeneye problem ?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
dremspider said:
I am using suse 9.1 for 64 bit machines. I currently have an athlon 64 and it runs great. My problem is this... mupen 64 the binaries are very unstable, on the other hand, it won't let me compile the source due to the fact that I am not using an x86 machine. The input device is very unstable, It will often crash when I hit a button on my joystick, whenever I exit out of a game, it locks up. Also I have an adaptoid w/ an N64 controller, and some of the buttons wouldn't work, they will program fine, but Z, and all the C buttons just plan flat out do nothing, I got around this w/ qjoypad, and mapped the controller to the keyboard. My question is has anyone got this to run stable on amd64, and if so how? though I must say I ran it in windows, 32 bit of course, and it runs a lot smoother under suse64. I am not sure if that is the extra registers or what, that is why I am so annoyed, and want to get it to work :) .

Also how do I get goldeneye to stop flashing on multiplayer?

An Athlon64 is a x86 processor.

OP
D

dremspider

dremspider
An Athlon64 is a x86 processor.

Not entirely true.... It is an x86 processor w/ 64 bit extensions when paired w/ the right OS. The architecture is name amd64 or x86-64. It is a different architecture. It will run MOST x86 apps w/o a hitch, but but it will also run x86-64 apps faster IF optimized for it, b/c it enables twice as many registers. Now if only I can get it to work properly.

ciruZ

Well, an AMD64 is only an x86 Processor if it runs in 32bit Mode.
But if it runs in 64bit mode, it isn't compatible, because the registers are 64bit.
Or are eax, ebx, ecx, edx and so on still avilable and only rax, rbx, rcx, rdx, rbp and so o on in 64bit mode? Or how is it working to use 32bit apps in a 64bit enviroment? Well, afaik libs aren't compatible, are they? You need 32bit libs for 32bit apps afaik. And .o files aren't compatible, too. So I think there is a difference ;).
Or is it only because the different registers used?
Well, I don't know, I don't have an AMD64 :(.

OP
D

dremspider

dremspider
ciruZ said:
Well, an AMD64 is only an x86 Processor if it runs in 32bit Mode.
But if it runs in 64bit mode, it isn't compatible, because the registers are 64bit.
Or are eax, ebx, ecx, edx and so on still avilable and only rax, rbx, rcx, rdx, rbp and so o on in 64bit mode? Or how is it working to use 32bit apps in a 64bit enviroment? Well, afaik libs aren't compatible, are they? You need 32bit libs for 32bit apps afaik. And .o files aren't compatible, too. So I think there is a difference ;).
Or is it only because the different registers used?
Well, I don't know, I don't have an AMD64 :(.

You are correct. Libraries need to be on their for both 64 bit apps and 32 bit apps for both to work. Currently not all the libs are done so you can have both, it is one or the other, --cough-- propiertary nvidia opengl libs --cough--