What's new

Ogre Battle: Success!

Warlyik

I'm just here to inform others and help with issues as I can, since I've recently had success in emulating Ogre Battle 64 with the backgrounds using Project 64 1.5 SP1 (And also original, don't think it matters) and Rice's Video 5.6.0. I can post up Screenshots if you want, but I'd like to help others and get a little help myself on 'perfectly' emulating as best as possible.

Right now the only problems I have are "flash-back" storyline parts not appearing (although they run, it's covered entirely in black unless I press enter which essentially cuts through it) and a slight slowdown during animation, which I hadn't previously had. It might just be the plugin itself not being perfectly compatible with my video card (GF4 MX440) since I rarely had noticable slowdowns using other plugins like Jabo's and Glide64. If anyone has some potential fixes to these problems I'd much appreciate it, but I'm generally happy to finally have the beloved backgrounds showing up :)

I'll also help anyone with configurations as much as I can. Just post in here if you need help and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
Wow , but this has been discovered long ago . But it could be made sticky , because lots of people are asking how to make OB working properly .

OP
W

Warlyik

I -know- that -some- people have got it to work properly, but not -everyone- can or has found their own settings and what-not in order to do so. Not until an hour earlier did I just randomly find that it somehow now works :/ That's why I made this post; in order to help as many others as possible. I've tried lots of suggestions, and I guess by pure chance something worked for me. It's a great game and if others are still having problems then I'm going to try to help. Probably the -best- game on N64 due to its replayability.

Brimstone

I just downloaded rice's 5.6 plugin and was able to fix the background issue. However the text got screwed up and its very hard to read. Do you know how to fix this Warlyik?

DKnight

I really don't get what's wrong with this game..it's getting on my nerves. I want to see the backgrounds and tried what you guys did, but for some reason I get an error when I start PJ64 emu with the Rice Video 5.6.0 plug-in. Something about MSVCP71.dll not found. I thought I didn't need any of that to use the Rice plug-in.

So I tried the plug-in with 1964 emulator and this time the backgrounds were not black, but green with small little blue dots...like a really ugly bug. I really want to fix this, and some people have been able to fix it so it MUST work for me too or there will be chaos. Can any of you help me with the settings/configurations?

I have a GeForce2 MX400 64MB DDR video card, if that's of any help to help someone find a good setting for me.

Last edited:

Clements

Brimstone said:
I just downloaded rice's 5.6 plugin and was able to fix the background issue. However the text got screwed up and its very hard to read. Do you know how to fix this Warlyik?

Enable Normal Blender.

DKnight said:
I really don't get what's wrong with this game..it's getting on my nerves. I want to see the backgrounds and tried what you guys did, but for some reason I get an error when I start PJ64 emu with the Rice Video 5.6.0 plug-in. Something about MSVCP71.dll not found. I thought I didn't need any of that to use the Rice plug-in.

You need to copy that file and the similarly named file from 1964's main folder to PJ64's main folder.

DKnight

Ok,thanks. It seemsto run well while not on fuill screen. On full screen though, it starts flickering, like flashing the whole screen and sometimes the message boxes too. This is my first time using this N64 emus so I don't know what could this be. Any help?

Also the sound seems to skip a lot..

OP
W

Warlyik

I have the same full-screen flashing. You might try and set the Windowed mode to the resolution that your desktop is currently set at, and merely move it around until it fits about right. It won't be perfect, but it's a temporary solution if you want a "full-screen" effect. I don't mind playing in Window mode anyways, but everyone has their preferences.

nightblade

clearing up confusions

i dont know if any other people have experienced these problems i have, but i have found solutions to all of them.

steps to getting the background working
  1. as said before, to play get the background windows working you must use ricevideo5.6.0 as video plugin
  2. project 64 and 1964 0.8.5 will not recognize the rice plugin
  3. only 1964 0.9.9 will recognize it, but unfortunately that version has errors with JPEG decompression....SO
  4. you must get project 64 or 1964 0.8.5 (with RSP plugin) to accept the ricevideo.dll..but HOW?
  5. you must copy files from 0.9.9 main folder into the project 64(w/ SP1) main folder
  6. then you can choose to use ricevideo.dll as your plugin and see those nice backgrounds that you've been missing

hope it has been helpful to people getting same problems as i have
p.s: man, the music between battles rock.

Last edited:

Clements

The files you need to copy to get Rice's working with PJ64 are msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll.

In the same way Jabo's plugin requires msvcr70.dll - take it out and Jabo's plugin is not recognised.