What's new

Dos emu

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Now I bring a tough question up for you...
To enjoy the full sweetness of the old dos games, Liero, I'm trying to find a good dos emulator to run this, as liero will not work on XP with sound.
I already tried dosbox to no avail. Does anyone know any other emulators worth a try? =)

Always try before you give up!

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
You can try VDMSound. This program emulates only the old legacy soundcards. you will ru n your game in a XP cmd box.
I dont remember the site now, sry....

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Ohhhh, I will try these right away!
Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I checked out the sites. That dosbox version (not cvs though) was already on dosbox's homepage, which means I already tried it. I'm not sure as to try the cvs too, but the thing is that you have to become a member and post two MEANINGFUL posts (not spam :p). Qutie annoying just for a download.

I also tried VDMSound, and I think I might be able to get it work here... liero still loads without sound. With sound, it pretty much initializes, but quits before the "press any key" message. Maybe it can work with diffrent settings?

Last edited:
OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Yes, that liero.
I obtained a cvs version of dosbox and it worked! Liero booted without disabling sound. However, I could not hear any sound even though it was activated and it was slow. But we're on our way here =)

euphoria

Emutalk Member
I've used bochs to run old dos games on my win2000 system. Works quite good although i haven't got sounds working, so if anyone knows how to/gets them working, please tell.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

I tried this "Liero Xtreme." It has flaws, and IMO wasn't worth downloading. The feel isn't the same, the weapons are diffrent in function (I don't want to get into details, though) and the sound was awful.
No... I think I'll stick to trying to get Liero work, with or without sound.

gamefreaks

Dunno if you've tried this yet, but to get DOS games working under Windows 2K/XP, format a bootable floppy disk and boot from that. then load your games from a FAT32 partition. Sound may still be a problem, but playing with the IRQ and address may fix this.

R4kk00n

Sri Narayan, FreeDOS ain't an emu, it's an (almost) full-featured operating system. And it's almost as good as MS DOS 6.22, of course if you've got where to install it.
And the best virtual machine for DOS is IMHO Virtual PC (either by Connectix or Microsoft - there is no big difference).