What's new

Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ OC problem

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
G** d*****, Is it possible to get my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor to overclock to 2.1 ghz and possibly beyond without getting a different motherboard and/or increasing the Vcore to 1.85V or higher?

At 2048 mhz, it seems to be stable, because Prime95 was ran for two hours with
0 errors and 0 warnings.

At 2055 mhz, Prime95 always failed. The first time I ran Prime95, Prime95 failed with a rounding error.

Now, some days later, after improving the cooling some more, I decided to run Prime95 again with the processor at 2055 mhz. This time, Prime95 failed with
the illegal sumout error, tried to restart the test by itself, then halted with
0 errors 100 warnings.

This symptom made me want to run Prime95 again just to be sure, because the illegal sumout error was classified as less serious, because the error may not be caused by an unstable processor, but a software problem, a bug :ermm: .

I decided to run Prime95 again, but then Prime95 failed with a rounding error within approximately 15 minutes :(.

Thus now, I sometimes feel like banging my head. :ranting:

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
Uh-huh . And whats your problem ?

I had the same experience with my old 1800+ , it even failed at 1900+ clock :O

A OC checklist .

1. Ensure what CPU-stepping you have , there are some sites where you can see the average OC potential .

2. Try to get the average clock .

3. if it fails , make a higher Vcore !

4. If you can't even get more with a Vcore of 1.85 or more , you reached the absolute OC limit of your CPU .

5. do you OC via FSB or Multiplicator ? I would prefer Multi. because some motherboards are f**** up with a too high FSB . ( my mainboard killed my HDD when i put 200 Mhz fsb on ;) )

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
RJARRRPCGP said:
G** d*****, Is it possible to get my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor to overclock to 2.1 ghz and possibly beyond without getting a different motherboard and/or increasing the Vcore to 1.85V or higher?

At 2048 mhz, it seems to be stable, because Prime95 was ran for two hours with
0 errors and 0 warnings.

At 2055 mhz, Prime95 always failed. The first time I ran Prime95, Prime95 failed with a rounding error.

Now, some days later, after improving the cooling some more, I decided to run Prime95 again with the processor at 2055 mhz. This time, Prime95 failed with
the illegal sumout error, tried to restart the test by itself, then halted with
0 errors 100 warnings.

This symptom made me want to run Prime95 again just to be sure, because the illegal sumout error was classified as less serious, because the error may not be caused by an unstable processor, but a software problem, a bug :ermm: .

I decided to run Prime95 again, but then Prime95 failed with a rounding error within approximately 15 minutes :(.

Thus now, I sometimes feel like banging my head. :ranting:

Would you happen to have a Tbred A? If so, don't really expect too much out of that chip. If you have a Tbred A then I say you have about 50mhz TOPS from that chip and it won't go anymore. What cooling do you have on it? And i'm sorry but you're gonna have to throw some voltage down the chip to see what it can do. At 1.85v my 2100+ did 2.13ghz, then I got a nf7-s and maxed it out to 2.46ghz at 2.1v.

-Shadow-

Banned
At 1.85v my 2100+ did 2.13ghz, then I got a nf7-s and maxed it out to 2.46ghz at 2.1v.

Wow , good ! What cooling system do you have ? Water cooling or even air cooling ?! You can call yourself a real OC Junkie , respect ;)

My record was just 2500+ @ 3200+ . bargh , 1,85V max vcore sux , i'll get an EPOX board ( max Vcore : 2,2V , whohoo :O )

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
H3ad5h0tter said:
Wow , good ! What cooling system do you have ? Water cooling or even air cooling ?! You can call yourself a real OC Junkie , respect ;)

My record was just 2500+ @ 3200+ . bargh , 1,85V max vcore sux , i'll get an EPOX board ( max Vcore : 2,2V , whohoo :O )

Thermalright SLK947U + 92MM Vantec Tornado + Fan Controller.

Yeah its all air. MY 2500+ record is 2.65ghz but i've never been able to get back up to it, i've had to settle for 2625mhz. Oh well I guess its okay, it's just that i've always wanted to be the one to break 2.7ghz on air with a classic barton.

And maximum voltage on the board of 2.2v isn't really special, because the way that motherboards work. In my testing i've found out something...

For cpu speeds, there is a voltage that works ONLY for that cpu speed. Let me explain. I can run my cpu at 2.6ghz with 2.06v, and although temps are good it will NOT work with 2.1v or 2.03v. It will only work with 2.06. For daily usage I run my processor at 2.5ghz. This speed works on 1.95v. It won't work on 1.93v or 2v. Only on 1.95. So do you understand? When you're overclocking, you can't just jump in and throw the voltage down and start overclocking. If you do this you'll find yourself resetting the CMOS ALOT or end up killing your chip and/or mobo. My mobo could run 2.3v down my chip but the highest i've gone was 2.2v I believe. As I raise the voltage I have to raise the cpu speed since the two match up some sort of way. If I had better cooling, then it would take 2.15v to hit 2.7ghz but I can see that as far as air cooling goes, my chip is completely maxed out. And it really took me a while to get to know this thing!

I've had my cpu posting as high as 2.75ghz, and I think I could run the cpu that speed if I had better cooling, or maybe higher than that.

Last edited:
OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Jigga0o7 said:
Would you happen to have a Tbred A? If so, don't really expect too much out of that chip. If you have a Tbred A then I say you have about 50mhz TOPS from that chip and it won't go anymore.

BTW, actually, what you just said about the Athlon XP T-bred As reminds me of my K6-2 processor!!! I had a K6-2 450 mhz processor and I definitely wouldn't be able to overclock it stability at all, even with a measly +50 mhz overclock at least without increasing the Vcore from 2.2V to 2.4V, but never bothered to even try increasing the Vcore value to stability overclock the K6-2 processor I have :(. That was before getting my first Athlon T-bird procesor, which was back in June, 2001. I gotten the K6-2 processor back in December, 2000.

Gee wiz, even my old Athlon T-bird 900 mhz can overclock better than +50 mhz with only a 250W power supply!!! ..And I thought that Athlon processor was a bad overclocker, because was unable to even get 1050 mhz without a BSOD when running games, almost always the
***STOP: 0x000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL within some minutes of running a game.

Remember, the Athlon XP 2000+ at stock runs at 1.66 ghz.

I have mine overclocked from 1.66 ghz to 2.048 ghz.

Last edited: