What's new

innocent (and unasked, omg!) questions about HD-BURN

DarkKnight38

The original
i figure i'd have more success asking here...

There's burners that can burn high density cd roms hitting the mainstream nowadays, my friend just got a dvd +-rw/cd-rw/hd-burn combo. They burn up to 1400mb on a regular cd-r. Here's some info on it: http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/structure.html

My question is, how different are these to GD-Roms? can drives that can read these special HD discs read GDs as well? Has anyone tried burning a full rip of a GD-rom onto one of these and tried it on the dreamcast? And since they're making firmware that can enable normal dvd players to read these discs, i assume it's just as possible to make firmware read GDs, right?

mezkal

Man on a mission
spag said:
GD roms are burnt from inside to outside, i think...

Hey Spag,

Actually ALL CD's are burnt from inner to outer rings - Inner Rings are faster to read from and the read slows as thy go further out. The next time you do a burn you'll notice this. Sessions are stored in reverse so it looks opposite - this is for redundancy sake. It's a leave over from the Red Book Audio days.

Cheers,

Mezkal

spag

mezkal said:
Hey Spag,

Actually ALL CD's are burnt from inner to outer rings - Inner Rings are faster to read from and the read slows as thy go further out. The next time you do a burn you'll notice this. Sessions are stored in reverse so it looks opposite - this is for redundancy sake. It's a leave over from the Red Book Audio days.

Cheers,

Mezkal
true.
i'll never post anything before 2pm now, so tired