What's new

Cosmic Smash JAP not working!

mashakos

Let me just say that the Chankast Team have done an amazing job and their work deserves more attention. Seeing as how hard they worked to make chankast a stable emulator with a high degree of compatibility, I put together a summary of my experience with the emulator:

My system:
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB DDR RAM
Geforce 4 MX440
Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro USB
10-button USB gamepad

Games Tested (as of version 0.2):

Ikaruga
Soul Caliber
Virtua Striker 2
Trickstyle
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Compatibility / Speed:

Ikaruga:

What can I say? brought tears to my eyes :sniff:
Perfect! :bouncy:

Soul Caliber:

Speed is much improved from version 0.1 (between 25fps - 35fps).
Minor character select screen glitches, only thing missing from the game are the player shadows.

Virtua Striker 2:

Echelon's Self-boot patch doesn't work with this one. Tried akito20's fix and it worked (thanks akito20!).
Playable with framerate going up to 40fps by increasing CPU speed (at least on my computer). Glitches in audio where some sounds hang (whistle doesn't stop, 1 tune of music plays then audio hangs at that tune) other than that excellent.

Trickstyle:

Same as Virtua Striker 2: use akito20's DOA2:LE fix.
Playable with framerate going up to 35fps by reducing CPU speed (at least on my computer). Crashes emulator at some point (when you try to exit a running game).

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

*cough* Bizarre *cough* glitch where game is filling only top half of screen.

What would make chankast complete (in my opinion):

-Command-line version for frontends
-Read game from zipped iso
-Save states
-Fullscreen :p

Now to my problem:

I read that Cosmic Smash was playable so I recently bought the GDROM (what the heck, it's only $10 ) and downloaded the JAP version CD image.

I performed the Echelon 2000 "burn on 2 CD'S" procedure to make a self boot CD (which I've done successfully with 3 other games ) and tried it on Chankast. The game didn't boot and I got the CD Player screen.

So I tried the DOA2 LE technique (the one posted by akito20) and tested that self boot image. Chankast just hanged after displaying the SEGA logo.

Has anybody got this version of the game running? and if they did how ?

BTW I'm using DAEMON tools 3.33 to mount the image

Last edited: