What's new

Problems with compatible games

thirdeye

Hey
I just downloaded Chanka and a few game images from my games and used daemon tools to mount them. I clicked "Init" in chankast and it started to load. All of the games are on the compatibility list in this forum but when they load, the dreamcast logo comes up, i'm asked for the date and time and the system management screen comes up where i can manage my VMU, load a disc, change the time, etc. I choose the play game option and it resets and repaeats the entire process again and again. Whats going on here? I assume i'm using the NTSC Bios and NTSC games. can't see a problem there. One game even automatically loaded as a 66 minute music track..?
Any help?? If I was able to see how it played some compatible games with my Athlon 2000 XP i'd be willing to donate some cash! Thanks!

OzTm

You need to make your CDs self-bootable. How to do this has been answered on a lot of threads here. Just look it up and read everything around

OP
T

thirdeye

well, i Did download some images of games and it said they were selfbootable. I did this to test and see if they worked. They didn't. same problem.

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
Thirdeye what games are you trying to boot, and what emu types are you using to try them?

it sounds like there's a game there that's not self boot if it goes to the audio cd thing.

I've had that problem to with a few backups of mine, so I use a program called Bin2bootGUI.

It fixed the audio cd problem and made it self boot and loaded up in Chankast nicly.

if you still have problems private msg me and I'll assist you :)

alex_ncfc

Thirdeye, im having a similar problem. I just tried Bin2Boot on a homebrew ISO i downloaded, but get the IOcontrol error. If i skip through these then choose "play game" the screen goes black but like thirdeye says, the bios process just repeats and I get the IOcontrol error again. I'm sure i've read about this before but am i doing something wrong?

Zorilla

Ok, I'm having the same problem with this and it completely baffles me as to why very few other people have had the same problem. There are absolutely no unique factors in the way I am trying to make this work. Hopefully I can clarify the problem. Here's a step by step list of things I tried:

1. Configured Chankast for drive E: (My CD-ROM Drive) and inserted one of my self-bootable backups, Power Stone 2, which I just now tested on a real Dreamcast to be self-bootable. I get the Date & Time Config screen and press Select. At that point, it brings me to the CD Audio screen. Failed.

2. I rip the CD to NRG format, load it into Daemon Tools (As drive G:). I then start Chankast and configure it for drive G:. I start it up and get the same thing. Failed again.

The fact that I get the audio CD screen is a good sign and tells me that both methods are allowing Chankast see the CD. This is what I think is happening though:

On a real Dreamcast, if you have to set the date and time and then hit select, it will not start a self-boot backup cd in that instance. This one is familiar to me, as my real Dreamcast will lose the date and time after about 6 hours of disuse. If you store the date and time, reset the Dreamcast and it doesn't prompt you for the date and time again, only then will it start the game up.

Chankast, on the other hand, is asking me for the date and time every time it starts up, which leads me to believe that no self-boot backup will work if it asks like a real Dreamcast in that respect.

What would be the solution to this? Get Chankast to store date and time properly perhaps?

Zorilla

Ok, I think I've been able to attribute the problem to the dc_flash.bin file I had. Strange behavior I also notice is that the first one I tried caused the red dot and spiral in the boot screen to draw black, the second one I tried drew the proper red, and the third one, the only one that seems to work (a spanish language dc_flash.bin), draws it blue. And that one seems to only work with 50Hz games. Looks like it's going to be a bitch to find a North American NTSC version since most of the discussions regarding Chankast are in non-English. (No, I'm not asking for one, just really do not want to buy a data transfer cable).

OP
T

thirdeye

i'm going to get my hands on some different bios files and try them. this may make a difference...

Topitonet

10000 points to Zorilla, Thanks! I had the problem of the bios time when I upgraded to the 0.2 version and games that used to work with the 0.1 version stoped working. I noticed the change of color in the intro screen but I didn't know how to get the blue one back (I was really angry by that time) Using the dc_flash.bin that was used in the 0.1 emulator version solved the bios issue. With the 'blue' intro the games that used to work work again. Yeaaah!

Last edited:
OP
T

thirdeye

Got it workin with 0.2a and spanish flash file. Just really slow. and VMU/mem card doesn't work. I was wondering how fast games are running on peoples computers. I have an AMD Athlon XP 1.667 Ghz, 256 megs ddr, ATI radeon 8500 64 meg.
I'm playin sega bass fishing and its horribly slow. like 10-15 FPS. I play powerstone 1 with about 20 FPS and is playable but slow as hell. Anybody out there havin it workin near perfect or will that be like....version 0.9?