What's new

athlon xp compatiblity issues?

achiles

I though I should start with a thread on athlon and compatibilty issues just to keep everything organized (I own a athlon 2400xp as well as a intel p4).

If anybody got any issues on failures or success on athlon post here maybe I can help. :bouncy:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
They work the same way (x86 main architect), so they normally have the same compatibility (except if chankast uses any SSE2 optimizations), but they differ architectural in some ways so I can't be 100% sure.

spaffdog

all my pc's but 1 have athlon xp's. one runs win xp.. that works great.

i also have a 2.8 celeron and that also wrks (slower than my 2000xp athlon)

i dont think athlon xp's have any issues running chankast.. i've yet to see it

Leonin

Well... I have one of them AMD XP2200+ CPUs and I get the "your CPU doesn't support SSE" message. :huh:
What gives?

Clements

If you have an Athlon that should support SSE yet Chankast reports it not having SSE then do the following:

1. Get CPU-Z and see if SSE is detected on your system. If it is then it's a Chankast bug.
2. If not, you need to enable it in your BIOS - it is enabled by default.
3. If there is no option for it, update your BIOS.
4. If no-go, buy a better motherboard that actually supports your processor properly.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
indeed this is how it works

Late durons/Athlon XP's support SSE, lower processors dont. If you have one of these and dont have SSE check your bios, if not your motherboard is crap and you shouldnt be such a tight sod and buy a decent one ;p

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Or look for a bios flash, in particular for the K7S5A. They are known not to support SSE stock, but with a bios flash they do.