What's new

Problems - general and Ocarina of Time

Crowley

First of all, I have no idea why, but 1964 has a tendency of locking up my computer with the message "The program has performed an illegal function and needs to be shut down." I can usually run the program without problems once after booting up. The lockup usually occurs when I'm trying to close 1964 or start it up a second time, and then the computer won't respond to anything short of the reset button. My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 1,3 GHz
256MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 2 MX 32MB
Windows 98SE
Thrustmaster Firestorm 3 gamepad (which I use for console emulators)

My second problem is only with Ocarina of Time. I'm using Rice's 5.6.0 graphics plugin. If the graphics renderer is set to DirectX the graphics are otherwise fine, but the sky is completely black. Setting the renderer to OpenGL fixes the sky, but causes a number of other graphical glitches to manifest: rupees and the spinning 'N' at the startup lack their shine, all the buttons at the upper right section of the screen are green and the mini-map at the bottom right doesn't display the arrows.

And there's another problem with OoT, which is a bit more serious. When I enter the pause menu, the cursor either doesn't respond to input at all, or it goes continuously for one direction for several seconds and then goes back to being unresponsive. Rarely it goes one or two notches in the desired direction. When the menu is unresponsive the entire emulator seems to lock up. It won't respond to keyboard shortcuts (though it will clear the buffer once it gets going) and if in a window, I can't open the pull-down menus with the mouse.

Rice

Emulator Developer
1964 0.9.9 does not work very well on Win 98 SE. It could freeze.

For your NVidia GeForce 2 MX, you'd better to configure the plugin, force it to use 2-stage combiner in DirectX mode.

OP
C

Crowley

That fixes the sky, but if I set the combiner for anything but NVidia, it causes some polygons to go transparent. For example in the title screen the horse Link rides is missing the upper part of its legs.

OP
C

Crowley

Whee! That helped with the random crashes. I don't plan to go XP in near future since I intend to keep DOS. Now if only there would be something that helps with my troubles with Ocarina of Time.

OP
C

Crowley

Well, whaddya know, the graphics are damn near perfect! The only glitch seems to be that the screen goes black when switching to the subscreens. Also, it seems that the unresponsiveness of the subscreens was somehow related to the graphics.

edit: And then there's the old problem with Jabo's that causes the light that comes out of the chests to be black with GeForce 2 MX.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
For your gfx problems you can try glide64 and evoodoo3.99 or you can try gln64. I had the same problem when I owned an mx400 and those plugins fixed it.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Gln64 is a good option for a GeForce2MX. It ran perfectly on my GF2 MX 200 a year or two ago. :) Also, the glitches in OoT with Jabo's plugin are non existant in gln64.. it looks damn near (if not) perfect. :beer:

OP
C

Crowley

When using glN64 I get some minor graphic glitches. There are sort of flashes of big black polygons at the edges of the screen, and I see four suns.

And I downloaded Glide64 and unpacked it into the plugins folder, but it doesn't show up on the graphics plugins list for some reason.

Last edited:

vleespet

The decent one
You need to unpack Hacktarux' glide wrapper into the root-folder of 1964, because you haven't got a 3dfx-card.

OP
C

Crowley

Oh well, Glide64 with Hachtarux's glide wrapper also has some minor glitches. The sky doesn't change color gradually when the sun goes up/down, but goes in the blink of an eye from dark blue to pink-ish to light blue. There's also some texture tearing, especially noticeable with the road close to Kokiri forest. Jabo's seems to be still the overall best. Black light from big chests I can live with.

OP
C

Crowley

That plugin in turn causes the subscreen background to be completely white and the paperdoll is a mess, but I consider that a smaller nuisance than the black light.

edit: I can also see coronas through solid objects. Sigh.

Last edited: