What's new

Anyone working on new plugins?

tricky2

I was wondering if anyone was working on any DirectX 9 plugins. Because with the leap of GPUs lately i think that N64 emulators could benefit a great deal from them. Espeacially with that new Geforce 6800 ultra coming out! Awesome card! Thanks for any info!

-Shadow-

Banned
Huh ? Rice's plugin already has DX9 Pixel Shader support , so you need no new plugin . There aren't ANY Pixel Shader effects on a n64 anyway . And the new Nvidia card won't bring any image quality IMHO (more performance isn't needed in n64 emus , they all run @ full speed with a GF4Ti)...

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Mystic Gohan said:
Like H3ad5h0tter said, rice's plugin is the best right now with most videocards.

Guess old Radeons (7500) don't qualify as "most." From what I understand it works best on modern video cards. I.E. with pixel shaders. Jabo's is the only way to go for mine, though I have to increase gamma to see the game indark places. No one seems to know why either, or are keeping it to themselves. I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem. Sigh. Lucky me has a card that falls in the cracks between Voodoos, which can use Glide64 effectively and DX8/9 video cards that can use Rice's and GLn64 effectively. I'd say I wish I never replaced my Voodoo3, but then I couldn't play most newer PC games. Guess N64 emulation is the tradeoff.

Clements

tricky2 said:
I was wondering if anyone was working on any DirectX 9 plugins. Because with the leap of GPUs lately i think that N64 emulators could benefit a great deal from them. Espeacially with that new Geforce 6800 ultra coming out! Awesome card! Thanks for any info!

Well, Direct X 9 would be of no benefit, it definitely would be no faster. Outside of the castle in SM64 using 1964 I get:

Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 - ~410 fps

Rice's Video 5.5.1 (using high-end or Pixel Shader, didn't matter) - ~244 fps

Jabo's is twice as fast even though it uses Direct X 6.0 and not 8.1 like Rice's. On my rig, Jabo's runs far better than all the other plugins combined - so Direct X has almost nothing to do with speed at least. Although the N64 had no Pixel Shaders, it does have many effects that could be rendered with Pixel Shaders, thus the option in Rice's Video plugin.

Rice

Emulator Developer
In its best games, N64 has many combiner modes that can only be rendered in pixel shader (or very complicated DX multiple stages and multiple textures combination). Jabo's or Glide64+evoodoo won't be able to do. Take a look of the Zelda logo. player shadow in most games, KI64.

Jabo's and glide64 are faster in many games, but not all, though. And we are lucky that DX6 applications don't have so many clipping problems with modern video cards as DX8 ones, but DX6 still has problems with many games (JFG intro with my Radeon 9600).

Btw, how many vi/s do you need to play a game?

Plugins are all best for certain configurations. They are never designed to work best one any software+hardware combination. And there are fun only, no competition.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Marginally off-topic, but Rice did you have high-end cards like the 5900u in mind with your plugin? Because with mine and forceware (56.64) all n64 emulation looks appalling. And I mean appalling. I've tried configuring it but with no luck.

Anyway, so plugin wise Jabo's all the way for me, and it renders practically everything (zelda intro, cfbd reflections...) flawlessy.

And then I add 8xAA and 8xAF just because... y'know... :)

milen

:happy: Most of you probably never tested Glide 0.7me with real voodoo. It's far better than anything else , speed - the best(there's no game that didn't work fullspeed), quality - maybe little better or the same as rice's(i have radeon 9000pro too). Microsoft must make glide 2.0 not dx9.

Rice maybe some combiners may be faked good enough so that they look like the real one without proper emulation.Something like HLE texture emulation. Something very similar with glide64's idea.

rcgamer

the old guy
Xade said:
Marginally off-topic, but Rice did you have high-end cards like the 5900u in mind with your plugin? Because with mine and forceware (56.64) all n64 emulation looks appalling. And I mean appalling. I've tried configuring it but with no luck.

Anyway, so plugin wise Jabo's all the way for me, and it renders practically everything (zelda intro, cfbd reflections...) flawlessy.

And then I add 8xAA and 8xAF just because... y'know... :)

hmm, thats funny , cause with my "sucky" 5200 i get all the games that are supposed to be playable to look as good as rice gets them on his screenshots. lololololololol. hahahahahahah.

Last edited:

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Its not just about speed though is it. More compatibility maybe? Effects in games like PD better (the sky to be rendered properly on some levels etc), that sort of thing would be nice

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Screw you, rc!!! The 5200 is trash. Although admittedly I feel reasonably humiliated here by the apparent irony of the situation in question. :unsure:

Aaaanyway, no it's not just some games, it's all of them. Frankly, they look like shit. Jabo's old dx6 plugin works like a dream, but I hear things like shader being mentioned for Rice's plugin and I want to get in on the act.

I'll post a shameful screenshot tommorow of Jabo's and Rice's plugin (default settings) working side by side on oot or something, or maybe cbfd.

Clements

Rice's plugin doesn't exactly work wonders on my system either compared to some plugins, even when configured correctly, but it has got hella better since 5.2.x when Direct X mode didn't even work at all in any games and was forced to use the inferior OpenGL mode. The Pixel Shader combiner helped a lot for me.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Clements said:
Rice's plugin doesn't exactly work wonders on my system either compared to some plugins, even when configured correctly, but it has got hella better since 5.2.x when Direct X mode didn't even work at all in any games and was forced to use the inferior OpenGL mode. The Pixel Shader combiner helped a lot for me.

Maybe I haven't given this thing a chance. Any recommended settings? I seem to recall you using an nvidia card, right?

revl8er

That Damn Good
I am having some slight problems with some games also on my fx5900u, but I really don't mind, because it's gonna be fixed eventually.

Clements

Xade said:
Maybe I haven't given this thing a chance. Any recommended settings? I seem to recall you using an nvidia card, right?

We may both have FX cards, but yours can render more textures in one pass if I remember right which may or may not make a difference. To get most games working in Direct X for me, I use the Pixel Shader combiner or the Hi-end combiner. I must check Software Transform & Lighting in most games as well as the Software Vertex Clipper. These settings should make games like Zelda look almost right (still a few errors).

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Mystic Gohan said:
I am having some slight problems with some games also on my fx5900u, but I really don't mind, because it's gonna be fixed eventually.

How will it be fixed? thx

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I'm going to experiment with Glide64 0.7, what with hearing it's like the God of plugins etc etc.

eVoodoo compatibility apparently sucks though, but we'll see.

machspeed

Dead Guy
I only use Glide 64 0.7 ME when i absolutely have to...It works fine on Perfect Dark and a few others, but I'd rather be using Rice's since he has it all figured out, lol... Anyway i though i might just throw that in...And to tell you the truth Glide 64 just isnt the god of plugins...but i have to use an evoodoo...

machspeed

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Glide is for 3dfx cards only? I tried it on my Nvidia 5900 and it did not work at all

Can it work on my card? Have i missed something?

Thanks all

Last edited: