What's new

.smd & .bin files (Mega Drive/Genesis)

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
Does anyone know why the size of the exact same file is 1kb bigger in the smd file? - its bugging me. The files have been run through GoodGen.

Is it something to do with the ascii values of the letters s,m and d compared to b, i and n? - it can't be though.

anyone?

Alchy

It's been ages, but I think I know the reason. The .smd file format doesn't stand for Sega Mega Drive, it stands for Super Magic Drive, which was a fairly common cartridge backup device back in the day. When the first Megadrive emulators came out, the standard had already been set by these devices. The actual difference is in the header, I can't remember exactly what, but .bin is a true byte-for-byte dump whereas .smd isn't. Or something, don't flame me if I got it wrong, it's been way too long.

OP
Niggy G

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
Alchy said:
It's been ages, but I think I know the reason. The .smd file format doesn't stand for Sega Mega Drive, it stands for Super Magic Drive, which was a fairly common cartridge backup device back in the day. When the first Megadrive emulators came out, the standard had already been set by these devices. The actual difference is in the header, I can't remember exactly what, but .bin is a true byte-for-byte dump whereas .smd isn't. Or something, don't flame me if I got it wrong, it's been way too long.

That would make more sense than my ascii explination, lol.

Its quite probable because looking at other [!].smd files they are also 1kb bigger.

Thanks for the info!

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Which emulators are people using MegaDrive-wise, anyway?

As for me, it's GENS all the way.

Clements

Gens hq2x :p

Plays everything inc. 32x and Sega-CD. Shame that it only supports 16-Bit colour, incredibly low resolutions and has an annoying GUI that shifts from the emu to the desktop when setting up directories and controllers and stuff, but it's the only real choice. If I could code, 1280x1024x32 would be the very first thing I'd add followed by hq4x :p