What's new

Legality issues?

The Saxman

Bible boy
Hi,

This is a question for the Administrator or the Moderators. I'm not asking where to find roms, and I'm not asking how to MAKE roms....What I'm curious about is why that last one is not allowed to be discussed (I'm NOT bashing policy - I just wan't to know why it IS policy). I mean to make a rom you obviously have to have a Gamecube so that's legal, and you have to have the real game so THAT'S legal, so pardon me if I'm being totaly naive but....what exactly IS the legal issue in discussing rom creation?

Once again I'm NOT challenging this rule, but its my philosophy that if there are rules its a good idea to know WHY they are rules!

On a completely diferent topic, where on EmuTalk would I go to ask about problems playing a game in an snes emulator? I'm new to EmuTalk and though I've looked I can't seem to find anywhere to talk about Snes emulation.....

OP
The Saxman

The Saxman

Bible boy
Vegetable said:
Eye, could you please make sense?

My Apologies, I meant why are we not allowed to tell/betold HOW to make roms. I might have the Cube and the Game but why can I not tell/betold how to get it on the computer? Again pardon my naivity.

Vegetable

Banned
Nah, sorry mate, I was talking to eyedentity there, what he said didn't seem to contribute any to the topic, until he edited it. You see, my post was before he edited the message.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Problably because this is not the nature of Dolphin forum. This forum is related to emulator. Only the emulator. Is not hard to find programs and tutorials over google or alltheweb. You can ask on these dedicated forums. Not here. Discussion about how to make a backup don't help the development of the emulator.

Vegetable

Banned
Marce! You idiot, did you even read his post all the way through?! He said that he wasn't asking HOW, but WHY, is it a bannable offense to ask how to rip the games. GOD it pisses me off when people do that.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Vegetable said:
Marce! You idiot, did you even read his post all the way through?! He said that he wasn't asking HOW, but WHY, is it a bannable offense to ask how to rip the games. GOD it pisses me off when people do that.

Idiot r you. I'm only explaining the reasons, ok. CALM DOWN PLEASE. Try to see in moderators or authors aiming. The forum is for development of Dolphin not for GC general questions. If you need to disscuss about this go to an GC general forum.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Nighty0, he wasn't referring to you with that post, moreover he was referring to Marce who posted above you.

Vegetable matey, could you tone down the flaming just a tad.

Gorxon

Administrator
Geez guys, you gotta calm down.

Ok, now I am going to answer the original poster as well as I can.

Ripping games is not illegal in most countries as long as you own the game. This is however defined by your country's law and it do vary. The moderators and admins here do find it somewhat in the grey area (yes, we know this can be discussed over and over, but we have to make one stance and this is where we ended), and we thus do not allow it. This is also a Dolphin forum and we think that such topics would only make this forum more general gamecube talk, which it is not. I can only imagine the hundreds of threads people create when they can't get X ripping software working with their retarded setup network.

I hope that somewhat answered your question :)

PS: About your SNES emulation question, you can post that under 'Other Emulation Discussion'.

romsman

Banned
in other words: it's legal to have isos/roms and emu's when you have the original system and game but it is illegal to put those roms or isos on the internet or to burn them on cd and sell them to other people

Vegetable

Banned
Yes, it may be legal to actually put the game on your computer in some countries, but in others, it isn't. This forum is about DOLPHIN, not how to rip/get games, but the emulator itself, and help with it. Sorry about reposting some of your stuff gorxon, but some people just don't get it.

OP
The Saxman

The Saxman

Bible boy
Gorxon said:
Geez guys, you gotta calm down.

Ok, now I am going to answer the original poster as well as I can.

Ripping games is not illegal in most countries as long as you own the game. This is however defined by your country's law and it do vary. The moderators and admins here do find it somewhat in the grey area (yes, we know this can be discussed over and over, but we have to make one stance and this is where we ended), and we thus do not allow it. This is also a Dolphin forum and we think that such topics would only make this forum more general gamecube talk, which it is not. I can only imagine the hundreds of threads people create when they can't get X ripping software working with their retarded setup network.

I hope that somewhat answered your question :)

PS: About your SNES emulation question, you can post that under 'Other Emulation Discussion'.

Thank you, That's a lot clearer now. I didn't realize that backup was illegal in some countries - that explains why I heard it was a legal issue. Also I can understand the space saving idea - that explains the policy issue. Now that I understand the rule I can see why its a good one, and since that's why I posted this thread I'm going to consider this thread closed. Thanks to everyone for the input, appreciate it.

Marce1991

Programmer
ok i got it.Getting back to topic I have one question.Its ok that animal crossing stops at the nintendo logo but mine showed only a grey bar.Would tha be because of the pixel Shader?And does dolphin require a 64mb video card(mine is 32)?