What's new

ADVICE - New Vid Card

OldSkoolCade

Hey Gang!

I'm in the process of putting together an emulation only machine, and I need a new vid card for it. The idea being that I'd like to be able to run most 1964 games at a reasonable speed in fullscreen. I realize that with most emulators it's CPU dependant, and unfortunately I'm stuck with an XP1700 w/256 megs of ram. That being said, I'd rather not spend the bucks on a high end card if it's not going to make that much difference. I'd like something of a radeon variety (want to output to TV hence the ATI choice for quality), but not sure what I could get by with based on my CPU.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

riles9262

My dissident is here...
for your setup, and if you want quality without spending too much, go for the 9600 pro or 9600xt. its quite fast and pretty cheap. if you can afford the extra 50 bucks, go for the 9800pro, its a beast :)

dont go for the 9600se, 9200, fx 5200 or anything low performance like that. you''ll wish you hadnt later.

Federelli

Beta Tester
I'd recommend a Radeon 9600 PRO built by ATI, not expensive, you can overclock it to radeon 9600XT speeds and it runs great

-Shadow-

Banned
The 9800Pro has become also cheap for it's performance , 230 ?uros in Europe , if you live in europe , i would recommend a 9800Pro.... :D

Cadex

Radeon 9800 Pro is at least $200 in the US. It requires at least a 300 watt power supply, make sure you have that if you're gonna get it. If you want something cheaper I'd actually recommend the GeForce4 Ti 4600, because the lower Radeon cards cost almost as much as the 9800.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually, if you're going for N64 emulation only through TV-out, a Voodoo3 3000 or 3500TV might be a very good idea.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Yes, but he mentioned quality TV out :).

I had a Voodoo3 3000 and the quality was simply horrible compared to my Radeon.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
H3ad5h0tter said:
The 9800Pro has become also cheap for it's performance , 230 ?uros in Europe , if you live in europe , i would recommend a 9800Pro.... :D
230 euro is way too much for a gfx card. Remember, euros are worth more than $$$.

milen

At the moment I'm with radeon9000pro, performance is good but most directx and opengl plugins have many gfx issues. Only Jabo's plugin is very compitable. But glide64 is the better in quality of picture and speed.I'm very sorry that I replaced my Voodoo3 which was greate card and If pc game:Knights of the old republic work with voodoo I would get my voodoo back.

I think at the moment Voodoo5 is the card which gives best results in terms of quality,speed,compitability. Better for n64 than radeon9800pro,geforce5900ultra.

The question is are you sure that you'll use this computer only for emulation, because 30% of the new games don't work on 3dfx cards.

OP
O

OldSkoolCade

Thanks for the advice gang! I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to shell out a huge amount for my emulator machine's vid card, but it looks like I'm gonna have to. Essentially it's going to be a MAME cabinet machine, but I wanted to be able to run 1964 on it as well. Although I'm finding out pretty quickly that I won't have enough controls at my disposal in order to play it anyway...unless I add a multitude of extra buttons to compensate for the N64 controller .

So I guess I'll take my chances with a 9600, and hope that it does the trick...

Thanks again!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
OldSkoolCade said:
I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't have to shell out a huge amount for my emulator machine's vid card, but it looks like I'm gonna have to.
That's what I was referring to. I don't know how much any raedon costs.

OP
O

OldSkoolCade

...sorry guys...I'm not really made of money, so 215 CDN plus tax for a 9600 XT is kinda expensive to me. But again, you get what you pay for, so it makes sense.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

foogy

i found a geforcefx 5200 for $60 in best buy. tahts perT cool. i own one myself and dont get any problems with it. its good for emulation and has a tv-out (s video) that delivers great video. dont spend too much on a video card, id say stop at $100 becuase it isnt very necessary, unless your going next-gen like xbox, ps2, gcn.....you can save that extra money to buy a new athlon. you can get an athlon xp 2500 for around $70-90.