What's new

Memory problem

phek

OK, i've got a problem where my kernel keeps killing mupen64 while playing zelda, majora's mask, for the reason of (an educated guess) being out of memory. I've tried this on 2 different computers now, on the first it runs for about 7 or 8 minutes, then gets killed, the specs are:

p3 500MHz
192Megs ram
Nvidia geforce 4 mx 440

So after this got killed i figured 192 megs of ram wasn't enough so I tried it on my other computer, its killed after about 45 minutes on this computer:

dual amd 1900+
1.25GB ram
Nvidia geforce 4 mx 440

Both sytems are running the 2.6.4 kernel with glibc 3.2.3. This is the precompiled binary I'm running with some self-compiled plugins. I've tried compiling mupen64 from source, but the mupen64 executable is just a bash script that fork bombs (funny trick).

OP
P

phek

Hacktarux said:
Is it happening with all plugins (especially gfx ones) ?

Here's the result with all of the video plugins on the slower machine:

mupen64 gfx - doesn't work, its not displaying anything but a line in the center
tr64 opengl 0.7.8 - Runs for about 7 or 8 minutes, then gets killed, also no fog
glnintendo64 0.3.1 - Runs for about 25 minutes before getting killed
rice's daedalus 5.2.0 - Not all video is shown, runs for about a minute before getting killed

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I don't experience such problem on my computer, majora's mask is constantly using around 320Mb of virtual memory and i think you need at least 64Mb of physical RAM to use it. Can you try jttl's SDL sound plugin and see if it works better ? There's a possibility of a mem leak in mupen64 sound plugin now that i think about it.

ciruZ

Well, what do you understand under "gets killed?" that it freezes and doesn't do anything anymore? If yes, I have the same problem.
// Edit: But not with the delay = 0 version I compiled :).

OP
P

phek

Hacktarux said:
I don't experience such problem on my computer, majora's mask is constantly using around 320Mb of virtual memory and i think you need at least 64Mb of physical RAM to use it. Can you try jttl's SDL sound plugin and see if it works better ? There's a possibility of a mem leak in mupen64 sound plugin now that i think about it.

That would make sense, i had forgot to mention sound is REALLY choppy, I'll give that one a try tommorow and let you know. Thanks.

OP
P

phek

ciruZ said:
Well, what do you understand under "gets killed?" that it freezes and doesn't do anything anymore? If yes, I have the same problem.

No I mean the kernel actually kills the process.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
ciruZ said:

Btw, this problem has been fixed in my latest developpement build. It should work all the time with a correct delay :)

ciruZ

Ok, thats good :)
Is there a possibility to get a snapshot from the current development tree?

OP
P

phek

I just tried out jttl's 1.1.1 plugin (1.2 errors on me) and it still crashes, I did some checkign and according to free, mupen64 isn't using any swap, its just using 95 megs of physical memory, leaving 1 free meg, runs like that for a while, then gets killed. I know free sometimes lies about how much free memory you really have, but this seems to go along with the idea that the kernel is killing mupen64 becuase its out of memory.