What's new

Dip Switches

SonicTails5

Can you explain how this works for Neogeo games and not Capcom games like Marvel Super Heroes VS Capcom or any other game and is there a file out there that works like the dipswitch for Capcom games or any other games. And what is this Universal Bios and it's purpose?

Allnatural

Uh, could you repeat the question? It's all jibberish here.

If I understand correctly, you wish for dip switch control in certain Capcom games similar to what the NeoGeo offers. I don't think the CPS2 hardware used dip switches at all. Everything is handled in the service menus (F2 by default, using MAME).

OP
S

SonicTails5

So there is no way to play CPS2 games as if you are playing them on a console (Not arcade), you know when you have the menus like options vs mode and all.

And what does universal bios do?

Allnatural

SonicTails5 said:
So there is no way to play CPS2 games as if you are playing them on a console (Not arcade), you know when you have the menus like options vs mode and all.

And what does universal bios do?
Not exactly, but many of the options you're looking for are in the service menus.

I'm not entirely sure about the universal bios (NeoGeo right?). I think the earlier bios used hacks to enable support for other regions; perhaps the arcade/home switch as well. The MAME docs/faq would undoubtedly answer your question.

OP
S

SonicTails5

Well, as you can see, by playing the console version of CPS2 games, you get way more options, characters and easy to do cheats and plus, I can be Onslaught without the hideous GFX (When I use a cheat to get him).

I need to know more of this earlier bios you speak of that allows this arcade/home switch. I shall find out. Know anything more?

Allnatural

SonicTails5 said:
Well, as you can see, by playing the console version of CPS2 games, you get way more options, characters and easy to do cheats and plus, I can be Onslaught without the hideous GFX (When I use a cheat to get him).
???

The CPS2 hardware doesn't have a console mode.

OP
S

SonicTails5

So then I am forced to play CPS2 games as Arcade only and not as if I am playing the console (meaning, I am plasying the arcade version, but it looks like a console version with the menus like Arcade, Versus mo9de, options, training mode, survival, etc. exactly like how the dip switch works for Neogeo games).

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The NeoGeo/MVS arcade hardware and it's console NeoGeo counterpart are practically exactly the same hardwarewise. The games themselves are also exactly the same with the console modes enabled(200+ megbit cartridges costing $100+ each). Like how neogeo emulators can use the console or arcade mode.

Capcom cps2 games on the other hand don't have a console hardware counterpart. It's home versions of cps2 games were all ported to various console systems.