What's new

Emulation question (All round emu n00b here)

In theory, would it be easy to emulated games such as Animal Crossing or Skies of Arcadia because they don't use the full capabilities of the Gamecube? With that its more so Animal Crossing since it has barely any upgrades form the old N64 version (which, unfortunately, is Japanese only). I was thinking along these lines because of the extremely good performance of the Bust-a-Move. A 2d game I think. So maybe games like Animal Crossing (maybe even SoA, a DC ports also with little upgrades) would work better than full fledged GC games.

Also while on that note, would Windwaker work? I am not sure if cel shading is a big drain or not (hoping not.) But that is something I want to find out.

And I apologise if this has been asked before, I am sorry.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Well i'm not sure how well animal crossing works, possibly ports from other platforms should perform better, as for the windwaker, cel shading should be a drain, aswell as drawing 3d, it will also be rendering the cel shaded graphics.

But to say resident evil 2 is a port, and it uses pre-rendered backgrounds (the GC only draws the sprites) it still is pretty slow

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
If that were the case, why do SNES games suffer so much slowdown on the Playstation? Take FF:Anthologies or FF:Chronicles, both have pretty bad load times. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't both of those emulated and not ported? If memory serves correctly, Animal Crossing was ported to the GCN, not emulated like Ocarina of Time and Master Quest were.

OP
C

childofbhaal

Shadow
But with the final fantasys there is not much (if any) RUNTIME slowdown. They run perfectly. I am just asking cause I feel my PC is not of the right calibar to run full-fledged GC games. So I figured I'd just buy freeloader for my US GC (since i only travel to the UK for some reason. I don't buy the ticket so no choice.)

Since note: Freeloader(the CD itself) is region free right? SO Buying it in the Eurpean regions (particularily UK) would not matter to my GC(us)?

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
No PC on the market today is the right calibur to run GC games. The best way to explain why GCN games run so slowly right now is that the GCN speaks a different language than the PC and the emu needs to translate it, which takes time and is far from perfected.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
childofbhaal said:
Since note: Freeloader(the CD itself) is region free right? SO Buying it in the Eurpean regions (particularily UK) would not matter to my GC(us)?
No idea actually...but you'd do best in buying one from US if you don't want to chance. I doubt ninty will be very happy to answer questions about the freeloader. Heh.

OP
C

childofbhaal

Shadow
Doomulation said:
No idea actually...but you'd do best in buying one from US if you don't want to chance. I doubt ninty will be very happy to answer questions about the freeloader. Heh.

Why not? What is wrong with freeloader? You still have to buy the games.

Stezo2k

S-2K
childofbhaal said:
Why not? What is wrong with freeloader? You still have to buy the games.

they don't like you buying imported games, and the freeloader could help piracy if release groups crack the GC code