What's new

DVD & Tv-Out

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I was wondering because about how to use TV-Out functions while playing dvds.
I would want to see the dvds on my tv...but...as we know, there's the protection.
Using tv tool, I've gotten it working somewhat. The screen's hue still lights up and down all the time (not often, though), so that's nice. But this only works with wmp, which is bad at playing dvds. While using powerdvd, the gfx is all scrambled and both the monitor and the tv - and can't be watched at all!

The documentation (or readme) tells to try and turn off the copy protection system, but doing this causes it not to be able to play any dvds at all.
It also suggested using tvtool 6.0 or something.

Anyway, has anyone of you gotten this working somehow? I'd prefer as to use it with powerdvd, since wmp skips parts of dvds and the gfx seems much worse than on powerdvd (go figure, m$!)

Remote

You could let it go through a vcr to get rid of the macrovision, otherwise windvd is nice and tvtool is up to v 9.5 maybe even v 10.0 last time I checked, so give those two a try.. Wmp isn't for svcd...

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
My advice is to not use TV Tool at all... have you installed the new nVidia's Forceware Drivers? With this new driver the nView Cloning options for using the TV-Out just rocks! all the problems with nView were fixed with the last release 53.03
I'm currently use my DVD-ROM to watch movies on my TV using PowerDVD, that is exactly what you wish to do... So you only have to get rid of TV-Tool, get the latest nVidia Drivers, then after install them of course, enable the cloning options, and finally after that there's a new window like the one in the post below... just enable the full screen video on your TV and that's it...
I hope I help you!

Last edited:
OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Ah, but I do have the latest version of tv-tool, I just downloaded it to see if it worked.
Ahhh but I will get the latest drivers and see if it werks.
Btw, the tv-out is going thru the old video I have...although, it's only outdated because let's just say my family have 3 (2 & a tv with video). :rolleyes:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Remote said:
You could let it go through a vcr to get rid of the macrovision, otherwise windvd is nice and tvtool is up to v 9.5 maybe even v 10.0 last time I checked, so give those two a try.. Wmp isn't for svcd...

letting it go through the VCR would only cause the macrovision to appear. VCR's are the reason Macrovision exists.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
its true. Macrovision was designed to stop vcr's from being used to pirate the dvd's. when viewed through a vcr you get the usual drop-outs and other picture problems associated with macrovision.

Macrovision=Copy protection. So why would running it thru a vca get rid of it?;)

Remote

Not sure, a friend told me about it long time ago and I never proved him wrong until now. But i'm sure pretty convinced you can circumsize macrovision by doing something with it and a vcr.. :p

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/600/macrovision.htm

Macrovision is basically done by injecting fake brightness information into video signal that VCR's do not understand. This signal makes the VCR try to correct the "problem" but it is too slow and therefore can not follow the rapid changes that Macrovision makes to the signal. 99% of televisions can cope with Macrovision but because of the way a VCR works it does not like Macrovision. Macrovision exploits this fact and that is why it causes so much problems with VCR's, not only when you try to record something but also when you are just using your VCR as an input for your DVD player. There are a small number of VCR's that can cope with Macrovision but as I said the number is very small and it is no guarantee that just because one type of VCR works that another by the same manufacturer will also work. The same is true for VCR's of the same make and model number.

'Nuff said:)

And having actually seen it for myself, i can assure you that it's true.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Yeah I read it... what I'm exactly asking is since when Macrovision exists, and in what devices is working? I never heard before of it, I never seen a VCR, a TV or something with a logo of this, you know what I mean...

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
macrovision is copy protection. its on nearly all retail VHS tapes, 90% of the dvd's you can buy and other copywrited material aswell. It's all designed to stop you copying them.

Remote

Well, I do since I still ocasionelly watch tapes :p But it's def a dissapering media, dvd's are so mich nicer :)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Well actually I tried latest drivers and with a little tweaking I got it to work through the vcr o_O
So you could just plug the dvd onto the TV to get it working perfecly huh? More the reason I have it through the vcr, though, is because I like to record some stuff from the computer.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I have a panasonic VCR that I use as an input to all my RCA devices (game consoles and my DVD player) and I don't get any macrovision problems. :)