PDA

View Full Version : Ninty DS

Macca
January 21st, 2004, 13:45
In an official press release from Nintendo today, we can announce with both wonder and astonishment the latest Nintendo machine: The Nintendo DS portable!

In a shocking announcement which is set to rock the gaming world, Nintendo have released details of their forthcoming DS Portable gaming system. Rumours began flying a few weeks ago after mysterious words were uttered from Nintendo spokes people regarding a new machine. Some thought the machine would be the fabled “Game Boy Enhanced” with the mighty power to play Game Boy Advance AND Gamecube games, however this is not the case.

This surprising move from Nintendo sees them releasing a third stand-alone portable system to take games playing and interactivity to a completely different plane of existence! This new machine will feature not one but two 3” TFT LCD screens to allow for greater scope and perspective on the games. The two screens will be backlit to allow for poor-light play. The main processor is pparently an "ARM 9" with the Sub-processor an "ARM 7".

Here’s the official word from Nintendo:

”Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a football game, you can view the whole game on one screen, while simultaneously focusing on an individual footballer's tackle or goal on the other screen. Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of their environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.”

Self-styled “Funny Man of Gaming” and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had this to say on the new product:

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century"

The Nintendo DS will feature two separate screens, separate processors and a semiconductor memory of up to 1 gigabit. It will be marketed and sold as a separate entity to Game Boy Advance and the Gamecube systems. More information will be available at E3 when the system will be fully unveiled for the first time. Nintendo says we can expect a world-wide launch before the end of the year!

Start saving your pennies now, kids!

right from http://emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

Macca
January 21st, 2004, 13:57
New info of some concept art floating around, it appears to have been leaked from nintendo itself

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/nintendodsannounced.jpg

Remote
January 21st, 2004, 15:25
lol, is this supposed to be taken serious?

Macca
January 21st, 2004, 15:28
the story is real, the mockup, is exactly that, a mock.

Remote
January 21st, 2004, 16:36
mmkay, makes sense in that case.. :P guess there aren't a must for mockups to look good.. ;-)

ps. thought you were really bored.. :)

sytaylor
January 21st, 2004, 16:42
hmm, the two screens sounds interesting, but i cant see how this wont take market share away from the GBA unless of course its way more expensive..

Then its only advantage is that its portable, smells too much of a 3DO price tag slapped on a machien with two screens.. whats that about?!

Doomulation
January 21st, 2004, 18:32
I don't think it's set to take away the market from the gba, but merly steal the market from sony.

jollyrancher
January 21st, 2004, 20:36
If this thing is for real, I don't like the sound of these two screens... I'd rather have something that could play GCN (or even N64) games on one screen. Shifting back and forth with the screens during a fast-paced game of football sounds like it would give me a headache. And to look at a map in an RPG it seems just as easy to pause the game and bring it up. The only benefit of two screens would be a 2 player racing game, but 2 people can't play a single portable at the same time.

vleespet
January 21st, 2004, 21:12
This seems to be a new nice nintendo pocket emptier :)

pj64er
January 22nd, 2004, 00:32
I cant imagine any game that can take advantage of the double screen enough to justify a whole new system for this.

Cant they just make a big screen and split it when necessary?

Hexidecimal
January 22nd, 2004, 00:41
I give you three games which could very well utilize this tech:

Metroid
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid

All three for inventory, maps, objective, game independent, Metal Gear solid, on alert mode, to show where swat or enemies are.

It could be done well, but it remains to be seen.

Tagrineth
January 22nd, 2004, 02:29
There's a lengthy thread on Beyond3D about this, with basically 1-2 naysayers and like 10 people throwing around possible uses that sound really neat.

jollyrancher
January 22nd, 2004, 05:39
The thing is that I can think of a few (and I mean few) uses for the dual screens, but why not just save battery power (dual processors for the 2 screens?) by having one bigger screen. I agree that MGS might be good with two screens... some sorta radar on the second screen, but I prefer fast-paced games and having to switch back and forth would suck... can you even turn the second screen off? The real problem here is lack of details... no mention of MP3 or MPEG functions... and this 3rd party concept at least lets Nintendo wash their hands if it doesn't work out.

Doomulation
January 22nd, 2004, 08:26
Really, a handheld is not MEANT FOR MP3 or mpeg! Who cares about that?!
Anyway...this two screens might sound a little absurd, but it could work with maps and whatnot...it's not like you have to switch to whatever screen all the time I guess.
It sounds absurd, indeed, so I suppose we need to wait until we get more news.

JevilKnevil
January 22nd, 2004, 22:47
I give you three games which could very well utilize this tech:

Metroid
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid

Switching to that damn 3D map every 5 seconds when playing Metroid really irritated me. Same goes for Zelda, so I can see that this could become handy. But I agree, rather get one BIIIIIIIIG screen than two screens. BTW, sounds like this thing is going to be huge.

Tagrineth
January 23rd, 2004, 01:20
Two mid sized screens are actually LESS of a power drain than one larger one, not to mention the pricing on larger screens is exponential. A pair of screens rather than one big one also fits better with a GBA-SP esque clamshell design.

And yes, the two screens can be "combined" as one for games that want to (SHMUPs, anyone? OMG a good hand-held SHMUP would own...).

jollyrancher
January 23rd, 2004, 02:31
Wouldn't there be a small gap between the two screens, where it would be easy to lose track of the missles in SHMUPs? I'm sure they're trying to make it more compact by using 2 screens but I question whether it would be annoying to play a normal "one screen" game on the two screens.

Doomulation
January 23rd, 2004, 12:21
What you say, is stupid. I don't want a small little handheld to watch movies. I want to listen to mp3? I use an mp3 player.
What the handhelds should offer is GAMING. That's what nothing else can do, and besides - it WILL be cheaper.

pj64er
January 23rd, 2004, 14:51
"oh um, yeah we want our systems for games and games only" THAT ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!! they want a sexy little gadget that'll do everything they want it to do, not "games and games only"

Go buy an N-Gage... :plain

By N-Gage's sales, it doesnt look like you have any idea what 'people' want.

2fast4u
January 23rd, 2004, 16:21
i hope no one flames me for this but nintendo was skyrocketing downward lately, and i kind of expected them to go belly-up two home consoles from now if they continue to do the dumbest ****ing things, like "oh um, yeah we want our systems for games and games only" THAT ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!! they want a sexy little gadget that'll do everything they want it to do, not "games and games only" now i expect their belly-uppyness to occur sometime within the next year or 2.
this is going to fail like Sega CD, Sega 32X, Nintendo Virtual Boy, and the Atari 5-something all put together
instead of doing a ***-ass thing like this, they should wake up and smell the daisies and make a super-charged hand held with OPTICAL MEDIA! *smacks Satoru Iwata with a 100 CD spindle*
now this thing could go well if in games that don't need two different displays, they can be placed flush side-by-side to make a pseudo-6" widescreen instead of 2 3" 4:3's for some really nice action adventure 3d gaming

hehe, considering the n-gage sales (see above) plus the possible price tag of those devices it doesnt seem like that concept is catching on yet. furthermore, putting yourself in the position to predict the fate of a gaming device you havent even seen yet, actually only read a single article about is just a little bit pretentious. and what the **** is supposed to be sexy about a godamn gaming/mp3/mpeg device anyway? :P considering the stories floating around on the net about the gamecube controller i probably shouldnt investigate that any further.

as usual, im staying calm and observating. the concept sounds interesting yet strange at the same time and i sure as hell wont damn that thing before anyones ever seen or played it. time will tell :sp_canada

Nighty0
January 23rd, 2004, 17:59
Mp3 support will be cool, but for games (like in perf. dark or conker's cartridges)....
if you like personal robocops buy a n-gage system....:P
the problem is if this system will have good games (and many of them)... :P :P

i'm a nintendo fan but i hate virtual boy.... (this system will be a virtual boy 2?)

good old days of Genesis vs SNES with many and many good games......... :D :D

optical media is a *** mode to release games........ (loading, brrrrrrrr, loading, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........), but is good and cheap for piracy :P ........

lol - the Enduro for Atari2600 is the best game ever - :P :P :P

blizz
January 23rd, 2004, 21:33
why am I left thinking that ninty will just remake the old game & watch games?

2fast4u
January 23rd, 2004, 21:38
they already did..

sheik124
January 24th, 2004, 03:09
instead of trying new stuff, why doesn't nintendo work on an old concept, and improve it, like a BACKLIT GBA successor [sp is FRONTLIT] with the ds like 1 GBit RAM and media similar to UMD, except this would really be a Universal Media Disc, because the new home console would use the same media and the portable games could be played on the home system (but knowing nintendo they would never do this and would try and push another gbplayer) and they could have watered down versions or minigames play when a home disc is inserted into the portable console, eat that Mr. Iwata, they should make Miyamoto president :)

Tagrineth
January 24th, 2004, 03:32
i hope no one flames me for this but nintendo was skyrocketing downward lately, and i kind of expected them to go belly-up two home consoles from now if they continue to do the dumbest ****ing things, like "oh um, yeah we want our systems for games and games only" THAT ISN'T WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!! they want a sexy little gadget that'll do everything they want it to do, not "games and games only" now i expect their belly-uppyness to occur sometime within the next year or 2.
this is going to fail like Sega CD, Sega 32X, Nintendo Virtual Boy, and the Atari 5-something all put together
instead of doing a ***-ass thing like this, they should wake up and smell the daisies and make a super-charged hand held with OPTICAL MEDIA! *smacks Satoru Iwata with a 100 CD spindle*
now this thing could go well if in games that don't need two different displays, they can be placed flush side-by-side to make a pseudo-6" widescreen instead of 2 3" 4:3's for some really nice action adventure 3d gaming

Gee, you're quite the moron, aren't you?

As already said, NO, PEOPLE DON'T WANT A DO-EVERYTHING DEVICE. If they did, N-Gage would have more than ~2,000 sales worldwide.

Nintendo won't go belly-up, considering they have several billion in the bank. You really think that'll be exhausted any time soon?

Sega CD actually wasn't a failure. It had a pretty good run, and has some excellent games.

Optical media won't make anywhere near the difference in terms of games as you think it will. There were some bloody huge N64 games, all crammed into 32MB each. The biggest impact optical media would have on a handheld would be battery life. Spinning a disc and using random access on the laser takes a LOT of power... and don't compare it to a portable CD player - they keep the laser moving at a constant, slow rate on a conservative power setting. A game system needs to MOVE the laser, quite a bit in fact, and quite fast if you don't want lots of little pauses in loading. (the most amusing thing, though, is Nintendo hasn't yet revealed what media the system will use!)

And apparently the vertically-aligned screens will be more or less totally flush.

instead of trying new stuff, why doesn't nintendo work on an old concept, and improve it, like a BACKLIT GBA successor [sp is FRONTLIT] with the ds like 1 GBit RAM and media similar to UMD, except this would really be a Universal Media Disc, because the new home console would use the same media and the portable games could be played on the home system (but knowing nintendo they would never do this and would try and push another gbplayer) and they could have watered down versions or minigames play when a home disc is inserted into the portable console, eat that Mr. Iwata, they should make Miyamoto president

More retardedness. First off, SP being frontlit... does it really matter? OMG, they're using a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGY that looks 90% as good and uses less than HALF THE BATTERY POWER! Or would you rather have to replace/recharge your batteries every 2-3 hours?

Second, Iwata-sama is an extremely capable man. You should probably look up what he's done in the past for the company.

It'd be nice if Yokoi-sama was still with Nintendo... he'd probably work some more magic. :( He'd surely have been Yamauchi's successor instead of Iwata...

And anyway, Nintendo's deal has ALWAYS been 'trying new stuff'. Rather look to a company like Sony for the tried-and-tried-and-tried-some-more approach...

sheik124
January 24th, 2004, 03:36
wow, i read my first post a couple of times and realized how stupid i sounded, just to add on, only reason i said that is because if nintendo wants to be a competitor for PSP they should try and do what they do (gamecube has at least 10x better hardware than PS2 but look at the games and feautures it has)

jollyrancher
January 24th, 2004, 04:52
What you say, is stupid. I don't want a small little handheld to watch movies. I want to listen to mp3? I use an mp3 player.
What the handhelds should offer is GAMING. That's what nothing else can do, and besides - it WILL be cheaper.

The thing is that if the portable has a good processor to play 3D games, there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to play MP3's or videos. The GBA is a good system if you just want to play 2D games, but technology is improving and there's no reason that portable gamings systems shouldn't improve also. And if people want something cheaper they can always get a GBA.

blizz
January 24th, 2004, 12:09
of course you're all judging it before we've seen it, so of course you have to be right don't you? :P

Macca
January 24th, 2004, 15:39
of course you're all judging it before we've seen it, so of course you have to be right don't you? :P

oh course we do. now shut the **** up and pick a side. ;)

Remote
January 24th, 2004, 16:44
oh course we do. now shut the **** up and pick a side. ;)

haha, kind of hard not to side with Macca ;-)

I guess there's a first for everything... :P Scary thought...

blizz
January 24th, 2004, 18:01
haha, kind of hard not to side with Macca ;-)

I guess there's a first for everything... :P Scary thought...

I just think the whole concept revolves around only one game actually using the concept properly, just like how FFCC does it with the GBA link, and other games will just use it for basic functions.

sheik124
January 24th, 2004, 20:19
I just think the whole concept revolves around only one game actually using the concept properly, just like how FFCC does it with the GBA link, and other games will just use it for basic functions.
well said, putting the GBA link into TLZ:WW was a waste of time if you ask me, and i still think MKDD could have had some sort of nice GBA link-up
yer avatar scares me blizz

blizz
January 24th, 2004, 20:35
yer avatar scares me blizz

good :D

Macca
January 25th, 2004, 03:19
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200401/N04.0121.1808.42530.htm <--- someone actually conducted an interview. wow!

sheik124
January 25th, 2004, 03:43
note, i thought about this before reading macca's link
one of those interview questions may be true, i was digging around some old the inquirer GFX newz and found the ATI will supply future nintendo GFX chips and they were all hush-hush about it, maybe they were hush hush because they didn't want to announce DS yet
think of it, maybe they wanted a GFX giant like ATI to help them with the dual screen control etc.
sad thing it won't use optical media though, the PSP will most likely have the upper hand when it comes to features (square, those *******s, why don't they make a FF game for a nintendo system that isn't innovation [i was uber-****** when i found out FFCC was NOT turn based] and stop worshipping sony) with their FMVs and surround audio tracks and whatnot

Tagrineth
January 25th, 2004, 08:02
sad thing it won't use optical media though, the PSP will most likely have the upper hand when it comes to features (square, those *******s, why don't they make a FF game for a nintendo system that isn't innovation [i was uber-****** when i found out FFCC was NOT turn based] and stop worshipping sony) with their FMVs and surround audio tracks and whatnot

OH, HEAVEN FORBID WE SEE A COMPANY DO SOMETHING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT THEY'RE KNOWN FOR! D: Good ****ing lord...

blizz
January 25th, 2004, 12:46
OH, HEAVEN FORBID WE SEE A COMPANY DO SOMETHING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT THEY'RE KNOWN FOR! D: Good ****ing lord...

hehe, so true, so true :D