What's new

Which graphics card?

palladium

Hey all. I'm just wondering if the GeForce4 MX 440 128MB 128 bits will be able to run all N64 games well... I'm currently broke and don't have much money to get anything better, although if I HAVE to then I'll probably go for a Ti4200..... I'd rather not, though, if you see what I mean.. :p

Thanks in advance!!

Pedro.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
if its just for emulation then the mx440 will be more than enough to play any n64 game. If you use your pc for anything other than emulation, then i urge you to save for the ti4200.

Knuckles

it depends also of the PC you have. If you have a enough good system (like mine or way above :p) you will be able to runs games with full AA/AS in 800x600 or 1024X768 at full speed.

even a TNT2 could run games fast on my system :ermm:

-Shadow-

Banned
LOL save ya money for a Radeon 9600XT . A Geforce 4 ti 4200 is too lame for new games like Stalker or HL2...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Knuckles said:
it depends also of the PC you have. If you have a enough good system (like mine or way above :p) you will be able to runs games with full AA/AS in 800x600 or 1024X768 at full speed.

even a TNT2 could run games fast on my system :ermm:

Yes, but only 'fast' with few features enabled. The GF4MX line doesn't support any kind of pixel shader, and only does vertex shaders in software... the GF4Ti's, OTOH, support full DX8 pixel/vertex shaders.

OP
P

palladium

Greetings!! I've decided to go for the MX 440....... then I can also get one of those USB PS controller adapters. :D I've already got a PS2 controller and I personally think they rock. If anyone can suggest a better option I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

On a similar note today a friend of mine tried playing Zelda Majora's Mask on an MX 400 and it seems to work quite well... apart from the fact that when he's using the lens of truth the game becomes unbearably slow... do any similar effects happen with the MX 440? Is it the video card's fault? Video plugin?? I'm utterly confused...

Thanks for all the replies so far!!

Pedro.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
H3ad5h0tter said:
LOL save ya money for a Radeon 9600XT . A Geforce 4 ti 4200 is too lame for new games like Stalker or HL2...
Those games are lame theself :getlost:
Anything that requires absolutely latest technology are lame.

OP
P

palladium

Heh, you've got a point... even though some recent games look quite good graphics-wise I'll just pretend they're lame until I have the money to buy something decent. :naughty:

riles9262

My dissident is here...
H3ad5h0tter said:
likewise. if you plan on upgrading in the near future, you may as well DO and upgrade and be current. the 9600xt is not too pricey, supports dx9 apps, and runs circles around the ti with hi resolutions, and with aa and af enabled (the cornerstone of a good graphics card ;) ).

-Shadow-

Banned
Yup , i will buy a radeon 9800 SE (the two locked texture pipelines can be unlocked = 9800 Pro) . It has more performance than a 9600XT ( already without the mod) and it just cost 40 more bucks....

riles9262

My dissident is here...
H3ad5h0tter said:
Yup , i will buy a radeon 9800 SE (the two locked texture pipelines can be unlocked = 9800 Pro) . It has more performance than a 9600XT ( already without the mod) and it just cost 40 more bucks....

thats of course if you get the 9800se with the 256bit memory bus. i hear its a crapshoot whether you get a 128 or 256 one tho. if you do, its pretty much a guaranteed 9800pro ;) stock tho, the 9800se and 9600xt are about equal, with different benchies going to each one. imo, i'd just get the one that was cheaper, but i'm also not willing to take the risk and getting the castrated 9800se :)

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
is IS a crapshot H3ad5h0tter. There's arnt that many 256bit buts 9800se's around. MOst of them are 128's, and you wont be getting a full 9800 out of them;)

Even IF you get a 256bit bus model, the chances of a successful mod are very low at around 35-40%. I wouldnt chance it again (after taking the chance on a 9500np)

-Shadow-

Banned
LOL did ya EVER test it to unlock the bus? PC Games Hardware (german hardware Magazine) did it with 6 of them , it worked on every radeon... on EVERY.... My friend did it >with success<...

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
bus?:rolleyes:

The bus can't be locked or unlocked. It is either 128 or 256 by design. Its the pipelines in the core itself that can be locked and unlocked. By the way, its 4 pipelines that can be unlocked, not 2.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
james.miller said:
bus?:rolleyes:

The bus can't be locked or unlocked. It is either 128 or 256 by design. Its the pipelines in the core itself that can be locked and unlocked. By the way, its 4 pipelines that can be unlocked, not 2.

exactly, only the pipelines can be unlocked. and the chances of getting a 256 bit bus is not guaranteed...its far from that actually. if you do get one, the success rate is better than say, the 9500>9700 mod, but it is again not guaranteed to work. just cause a magazine does it *cough* handpicked review samples *cough* doesnt mean that you and me will be that lucky

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
james.miller said:
is IS a crapshot H3ad5h0tter. There's arnt that many 256bit buts 9800se's around. MOst of them are 128's, and you wont be getting a full 9800 out of them;)

Even IF you get a 256bit bus model, the chances of a successful mod are very low at around 35-40%. I wouldnt chance it again (after taking the chance on a 9500np)

The All-in-Wonders always have 256-bit buses.

-Shadow-

Banned
ahhh yeah , ya save me , thats it what ive meant... Buy an A-I-W Radeon and unlock the pipelines , i almost forgot that it has to be an aiw.....