What's new

Rice's Daedalus plugin and Voodoo2

Jorpho

As Glide64 still seems to have some compatibility issues, I would very much
like to use Rice's Daedalus plugin with 1964. However, it does not seem to detect my Voodoo2 card, which works fine with all other DirectX applications. (I am using the FastVoodoo2 drivers from 3dfxzone.it.)

I read at http://daedalus.boob.co.uk/faq.htm that Daedalus may not detect Voodoo2 cards (if that has anything to do with this problem), but there is nothing there to suggest a remedy.

Is there some way I can force Rice's Daedalus plugin to use my Voodoo2? I have tried both 5.2.0 and 5.3.1.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
OK, I'm game to try and answer and explain some of this. Someone tell me to shut-up and/or correct me if I am wrong.

First, that old FAQ you are pointing to really has nothing to do with Rice's version Daedalus. That is for StrmnNrmn's version. And most is pretty old info that I don't think applies here.

I have a V2 board under WindowsXP using FastVoodoo2 4.0 drivers. My card will only run Glide apps with the V2 card. All OpenGL and DirectX stuff automatically goes to my normal video card. Yours should work the same way.

So there you have it. When you run Glide your V2 board is funtioning to draw the screen and when you use OpenGL/DirectX your regular video card takes over. It's only use of the V2 at that point is a pass-thru to your monitor nothing more.

OP
J

Jorpho

I have most definitely used my Voodoo2 with DirectX before. Admittedly, I have not had much luck with it under Windows 2000, but I have no need to run any game applications under Windows 2000 when I have a perfectly serviceable Windows 98 installation on another partition.

There are programs available that allow one to easily switch from one card to the other; 3d Control Center and DirectControl come to mind.

[As for OpenGL, I can use that with my Voodoo2 by copying 3DFXVGL.DLL to a program's directory and renaming it to OPENGL32.DLL. This trick also doesn't work with the Daedalus plugin since it uses the OpenGL ICD; it is necessary to backup the OPENGL32.DLL in Windows\System and replace it with 3DFXVGL.DLL. However, in the particular case of this plugin, the results are far from pretty; a lot of textures are missing, and I have trouble closing the program afterwards as well. (I think the driver only supports OpenGL 1.2.) ]

worrow

>>As Glide64 still seems to have some compatibility issues, ...

Glide64 works fine with 1964 0.85 but some games no longer work with 1964 0.99(Zelda Master Quest, Super Robot Wars 64...etc).

I am going to wait...

OP
J

Jorpho

worrow said:
>>As Glide64 still seems to have some compatibility issues, ...

Glide64 works fine with 1964 0.85 but some games no longer work with 1964 0.99(Zelda Master Quest, Super Robot Wars 64...etc).

I am going to wait...

Glide64 does work well with 1964 0.8.5. Very well, in fact... Most of the problems I was having are gone.

Still, I'm wondering if anyone has any further ideas about how I can get Rice's Daedalus to work with my Voodoo2. There are still one or two problems that I am hoping might be solved.