What's new

Serious Problem Here

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I dont know why this just started randomly happening but all of the sudden my computer wont update its CD-Rom. What I mean is whatever CD is in the drive when the computer boots is the only cd that the drive will see. If I eject and put another CD in it, it still detects it as being the original CD that was in it before. This is extremely annoying. When I try to access the CD it shows mea list of files that were on the first CD. Of course it cant open them but it thinks they are there.

Trotterwatch

I've had this happen before (not to this extent though). Try right clicking on the drives icon, then selecting open (rather than the standard double clicking).

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Trotterwatch said:
I've had this happen before (not to this extent though). Try right clicking on the drives icon, then selecting open (rather than the standard double clicking).

Tried that, it shows me a list of files on the old cd, even tries to do the auto-run from the old cd.

mesman00

What's that...?
just a suggestion. delete the cd-rom drivers from device manager. shut down the computer. remove the cd-rom drive. boot the computer. shut it back down. re-install the cd-rom drive. boot the computer. does it work?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
mesman00 said:
just a suggestion. delete the cd-rom drivers from device manager. shut down the computer. remove the cd-rom drive. boot the computer. shut it back down. re-install the cd-rom drive. boot the computer. does it work?

Why didnt I think of that. Actually I didnt have to remove the CD-Rom, I just uninstalled the drivers and rebooted and rebooted and it worked. (Also I flashed my mobo bios in between which may also have played a hand in it but I dont care it works)

Anyway, sometimes it just takes someone elses brain to figure something out, even if its common knowledge.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I have the same problem here... but I know that it will be not be fixed... I even tried formating the the HD and reisntalling the OS... But the problem is not so serious here... it ocurrs randomly and is solved by just ejecting the CD and putting in it again!

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Figured out the real problem. My SiS motherboard IDE driver had set my CD-RW to DMA mode 2 but my CD-RW only supports PIO mode 4 or lower. Luckily this can be changed in the system hardware config.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
The above be caused by a motherboard bug, not the CD-RW drive lacking DMA support.

If you set the CD-RW drive to PIO mode, you may get abnormally slow CD burning and/or buffer underrun errors.

Last edited: