What's new

'Castlevania - Legacy' comes to abrupt halt, so HELP!

judah

Having worked my way through to one of the later levels of this epic you can imagine my dismay when the game continually freezes when I attemp to battle the the winged lion with three heads.

It just stops in mid-flow - why and the remedy?

Kakarot

Can you give us the error message? That would help alot. But try the protect memory settings and/or interpreter if you haven't already.

OP
J

judah

there is no pop-up message - it's just a freeze, it seizes up. It's like a permanent pause.

Kakarot

Did you try the settings I mentioned above? If they don't work to get you past this part then I suggest using 1964 w/ Jabo's gfx plugin since 1964 has the best core of any current n64 emus ;)

PS. Forgot to ask. Have you check your rom with goodn64?

OP
J

judah

“But try the protect memory settings and/or interpreter if you haven't already.”
I would if I knew where these options were!

I don’t think it’s a fault with the emulator itself but rather the way I have some of the settings because before I managed to get past the narrative sequence to fight the three headed lion but now everytime I ride the elevator that takes me to this sequence it freezes/crashes at the exact moment it should switch to the storytelling bit.

Kakarot

Go to options, then settings, and then click on the options tab. Under "Self-mod code method" choose "Protect Memory" and if it still doesn't work afterwards try "Interpreter" under CPU core style.

Royal Fool

Your resident know-it-all
judah said:
“But try the protect memory settings and/or interpreter if you haven't already.”
I would if I knew where these options were!

In PJ64 v. 1.4:
Options -> Settings... -> Options

And from here:

CPU core style = Interpreter
Self-mod code method = Protect Memory

OP
J

judah

Yes, tried those options but remains the same. It feels like the graphic component is being overlooked and so it crashes because it simply hasn't the hardware to continue?!

This is a puzzle. Perhaps I should reinstall it.

Kakarot

By now there are 3 possiblities if I am correct (and I should be)

1.Your rom could be bad (go to www.smiff.clara.net and check the rom utility section for details)

2.The problem is in the core which means that you should try to use 1964 ver 0.7.1 (I think PJ64 savestates may work on it otherwise you'll have to start a new game on that emu)

3. The gfx plugin crashes on that part and bascially makes the game unplayable.

Let me know if the VIs at the bottom of the window are running when the game crashes and if you can still hear anything.

Let's hope it's not #3 ???

OP
J

judah

“Let me know if the VIs at the bottom of the window are running when the game crashes and if you can still hear anything.”
Yes, you have described it exactly as it is – the screen has frozen but the music plays on and the FPS thing in the corner still fluctuates rapidly.

However I’ve since got back to the battle with this lion mutant (Ortega changes into this), I turned some extra cheats I’d put in OFF so now it flows through the story bit to get to the battle – so that’s that solved. But once in battle it still freezes despite the memory settings and interpreter options being switched about.