What's new

Feature Request: Disable DPMS

russofris

Good evening,

I'm running XFREE 4.3 with the DPMS option set in my XF86config. This causes my monitor to power down after a long period of key/mouse inactivity. I have noticed that DPMS will kick in while I am playing MUPEN via the SDL plugin. Is it possible to add the ability to disable DPMS (either through Mupen or through the plugin). This would prevent the screen from blacking out (at the most inoportune gaming moments).

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo

blight

from `man xset`:
-dpms
The -dpms option disables DPMS (Energy Star) features.
+dpms
The +dpms option enables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

so you need a script, maybe mupen64.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms
mupen64 # execute real mupen
xset +dpms

HTH,
blight

OP
R

russofris

blight said:
from `man xset`:
-dpms
The -dpms option disables DPMS (Energy Star) features.
+dpms
The +dpms option enables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

so you need a script, maybe mupen64.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms
mupen64 # execute real mupen
xset +dpms

HTH,
blight

Thanx,

Will do.

Frank

txOjO

MDKEiToR
Or if you don't like script or always open console for this.
Simply disable the option in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or XF86Config
Option "DPMS" add the # and the result is #Option "DPMS".
I don't use this option , but is more "cleanly" than a console or script option :)

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
txOjO said:
Or if you don't like script or always open console for this.
Simply disable the option in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or XF86Config
Option "DPMS" add the # and the result is #Option "DPMS".
I don't use this option , but is more "cleanly" than a console or script option :)

Wouldn't this disabled DPMS completely instead of just during the Mupen session?

OP
R

russofris

LazerTag said:
Wouldn't this disabled DPMS completely instead of just during the Mupen session?

Yes it would. While the vast majority of us put the DPMS option in there for a reason (we wanted it), some distros have it in there by default. I was hoping for an aplication specific solution (like mplayer has), but am fine with making additions to my startup script.

I am assuming that the script completes (re-enables DPMS) if Mupen segfaults, is killed from a console, or dies an ungraceful death?

Thank you for your time,
FranK Russo

blight

russofris:
short answer: yes
long answer: when you run the script a /bin/sh is started, which then runs xset -dpms, then mupen64 and finally xset +dpms
now when mupen64 exits (segfalts or whatever), or is killed the /bin/sh which runs the script continues after the mupen64 line and enabled dpms again. only if the /bin/sh (bash in most cases) which runs the script is killed, mupen64 is killed (its a child process) and hen the shell is killed so it doesnt re-enable dpms