What's new

Trying to get Smash Bros, Goldeneye (split-screen), and Mario Tennis to run flawless

Bluebomber

So far, I've gotten Mario 64, Conker, Wave Race, Snowboard Kids and Mario Kart to run with only negligible errors. My goal is to get the last three in the topic, and then just not worry about emulating N64 games anymore, its tough... though worth it :D

1) Super Smash Bros runs great, nearly flawlessly, but I get gfx errors with 2D objects, like either the handle of the hammer is missing, Samus's charge up shot is really small even when fully pumped up, Mario's fireballs and the shield bubble are displayed at an angle and it gets annoying.

2) Goldeneye looks real messed up on split-screen, you can see through walls.

3) Mario Tennis has wierd 2D object issues like Smash Bros. The effects from hitting the ball show in the upper left corner, ball boys are missing, and replays are messed up.

If anyone knows how to corret these errors, either by changing configuartions, using a different plug-in, or using a different emulator, please tell me. I have to get these three games to run without the errors.

I have an Athlon XP 2500, Radeon 9800 (non-pro), and 512mb pc2700 ram. Also, I have been using Rice's Daeduaus 5.1.0 and Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5

BTW, since you guys are helping me out, I'll let you in on the one fix I know. Sorry, I only know one. To get Snowboard Kids to not flicker in split-screen, use Jabo gfx plugin and set D3D Clear Mode to one per frame in the gfx config in the advanced tab.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
For Goldeneye, activate 'Force Normal Blending'... other than that, I don't think anything else can be fixed without trying all sorts of different video plugins.

Clements

Use glN64() 0.41 and most of the various Super Smash Bros. glitches will be fixed. The new 1964 0.9.9 fixes the black square around the magnifying thing, so wait for that.

Mario Tennis is all messed up due to evil framebuffer effects and other mysterious stuff used to do almost everything!

Read PJ64's manual carefully to fix some of the issues in both Mario Tennis and Goldeneye. Mario Tennis won't be perfect whatever you do though. (A bit like Mario Golf, really)

OP
B

Bluebomber

I don't get a black box around the magnifying thing in SSB anyways, really the only glitch I get is from some of the 2D objects with Jabo or Rice's plugin, other than that it is flawless.

And that makes me extra mad, I want to get this fixed!

OP
B

Bluebomber

Wow, smash bros on 1964 with glN64 runs without gameplay affecting glitches, except for the black around the magnifying glass, which you said would be fixed in the next version of 1964, and if they make it so the hand for picking chars in multi-player mode, it will be a bug free game! Also, Goldeneye ran a lot less glitchier on split-screen with 1964 and glN64, but I still got some minor flickering in the bottom half of multi-player (i only tried two player). Thanks for the help! I didn't even know 1964 existed. Hopefully the next release of 1964 will iron out the glitches I am still getting.

As for Mario Tennis, I'll stop worrying about trying to emulate that game, it was a really advanced game technically for the N64 and seems to be impossible to emulate, and its one of those N64 games that won't play better when emulated, it will only look better.

BTW, more info on how to get Goldeneye or SSB to run bug free is still very welcome :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Oh no...it's not impossible to emulate. The framebuffer is just evil and if emulated, it would be slow due to the pc's diffrent architecture...
but Glide64 is the plugin that emulates most framebuffer effects, as of now. It's for voodoos, but can run with eVoodoo (far from perfect, beware!).

Jimbot

PJ64k Support Team
A great graphics card, I've found makes some of those issues go away, especially with goldeneye (thru walls thing) on my friend's POS, Smash Bros. doesn't even have the textures on characters, it's just white. Plugins work, too. but you gotta have the right equipment to run them flawlessly before you start to tinker around. I, for one, am satisfied with "Good".

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Jimbot said:
A great graphics card, I've found makes some of those issues go away, especially with goldeneye (thru walls thing) on my friend's POS, Smash Bros. doesn't even have the textures on characters, it's just white.
Hehe, i remember all those graphics problems, white patches instead of textures and all, when i had my crappy old ati rage fury. i have pics of it, see the link in my sig. =)

but they are talking about the 2d shields, fireballs, reflector fox, etc that occur in jabo's even with a good card. glN64 fixes those!

Bluebomber said:
Wow, smash bros on 1964 with glN64 runs without gameplay affecting glitches, except for the black around the magnifying glass, which you said would be fixed in the next version of 1964, and if they make it so the hand for picking chars in multi-player mode, it will be a bug free game!
just to add, i actually don't get the black box problem in the current version of 1964 0.8.5, only in PJ 1.5. but then only PJ shows the hand in multiplayer, so i'm using that.

Last edited:

dnrobs

slight change of subject
i seem to remember goldeneye on the n64 console had automatic sighting yet this seems to be lost on the emulated version
is this the case or am i just remembering it wrong
i cant play the cart as my 64s conked out

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Tagrineth said:
For Goldeneye, activate 'Force Normal Blending'... other than that, I don't think anything else can be fixed without trying all sorts of different video plugins.

You mean "Force Depth Compare", which is a major difference.

OP
B

Bluebomber

ah, i fixed the black magnifying glass glitch, so that means the only glitch worth mentioning is the fact that the hand doesn't show up in the character select for multi-player. That is awesome! And I bet that bug gets squashed in the next 1964 release!

Status update: SSB = conquered | Goldeneye = Nearly there, maybe will be flawless after next 1964 | Mario Tennis = given up upon by me, i'll just deal with low-res graphics on my N64, its not a big deal, at least the FPS is great on the N64.

dazey238

Graphics cards

Y'know, graphics cards can have a REALLY big effect on these plugins. Somebody mentioned Mario Golf - I can get it running perfect on a P4 2.4Ghz running 1964 and Jabo's D3D plugin. It even displays the grid correctly, and following the plugin tips to increase speed (using low res updates/turning off in-game background music) means that the game runs pretty much faultless.

Funny how on my Athlon 1800+ with a GeForce Ti4200 it's a different story altogether! I'd strongly recommend using a high-end Intel CPU/Onboard graphics combination for N64 emulation in particular :)

gandalf

Member ready to help
GLN64 0.41,in mario golf,works perfect (near to perfect,thanks to the frame buffer quality),much better than Jabo´s GFX plug-in

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Well, if you look in glide´s 64 compatibility list it says that mario tennis doesn´t work to well but in my system smash brothers has a lot of GFX errors.