PDA

View Full Version : NSF Sound

Snake785
November 27th, 2003, 00:52
Hey, I get excellent sound when playing games in Jnes 0.52 but for some reason when I play NSFs some notes tend to carry on and dont stop until it changes and well they sound weird. :p I thought that NSFs would sound the same as they would when you play the actual game. Why is this? Is there a way to fix this? Other than this Jnes is one of the best NES emus out there! Keep up the excellent work Jabo! :D

Jabo
November 27th, 2003, 01:53
NSF's are kind of a mixed bag of tricks, the timing can be a little bit different for notes due to the definition of a single frame of time, for a NSF it's not quite what the NES is, at least the way I do things, it shouldn't be incredibly noticable unless there is a real problem or you are a musician (in which case, you would probably have other problems too then hehe)

in any case, can you upload a sample NSF file that illustrates the problem? please zip it :)

Snake785
November 27th, 2003, 14:44
I didn't know that the timing would be different. Anyways, Here is Super Mario Bros 3 as an example.

Jabo
November 27th, 2003, 23:57
Yeah the timing is ever so slightly different, I don't even know it makes a difference since most games implement it based on vblank and not 1/4 frame, the problem you are seeing here tho is somehow I managed to mess that up at some point in NSF module, I'll fix it in the next release sorry bout that thanks for the info

Snake785
November 28th, 2003, 01:18
Ah, I see. It's great to see the problem being solved. :D Keep up the good work! :D