What's new

ati radeon 9000 - 92000

mesman00

What's that...?
i'm looking to buy a new gfx card, and i'm thinking about an ati radeon. now, i'm not an avid gamer so i don't need anythign super, and i don't really want to spend more than $80.00. so, what do you guys suggest in the radeon range that i suggested in the subect. should i go w/ an older version that is a pro, or go with a newer version that is not a pro. Also, linux support is a must. Thanks alot.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Look for the 9100.

Unfortunately, with ATi's older Radeons, Linux support is pretty bad, though.

TBH, in your case a much better idea would be shopping around for a GeForce4 Ti4200. nVidia has much better Linux support, the Ti4200 is simply a better card than those Radeons, and you SHOULD be able to find one for $80 or less. Lowest price should be, at the very most, 90-100 which is still perfectly reasonable.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Look for the 9100.

Unfortunately, with ATi's older Radeons, Linux support is pretty bad, though.

TBH, in your case a much better idea would be shopping around for a GeForce4 Ti4200. nVidia has much better Linux support, the Ti4200 is simply a better card than those Radeons, and you SHOULD be able to find one for $80 or less. Lowest price should be, at the very most, 90-100 which is still perfectly reasonable.

Tagrineth, you stepped out of the fangirl closet long ago, and once your out its impossible to go back in because we already know your preference, so don't even try :happy:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
Tagrineth, you stepped out of the fangirl closet long ago, and once your out its impossible to go back in because we already know your preference, so don't even try :happy:

Sweetie, I'm anti-GeForce FX, not anti-nVidia.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
jollyrancher said:
Awwwwww..... when you look through all the fanboy/fangirl posturing, I think they're in love.

Meh? I believe your due for another fluphenazine injection.

jollyrancher

Yeah, just teasing.... just reminds me of those movies where there's this huge buildup of differing opinions and the tension builds and then melts and whatever else... watched too much South Park tonight... spewing Cartman-inspired nonsense.

P.S., fluphenazine gives me the willies.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
yah i've had a Ti4200 before, got stolen though when my apartment got robbed. i think imay just go for it again, as it did work out well. is there much different between the 64 and 128 mb versions? since i don't do much gaming, do you think i should just save the money and go with the 64 mb of ram, or is it worth it for the 128?

*edit* looks like the 128 mb card gets bit pricey. on pricewatch the lowest card is $99.00 and it goes up fast from there.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yeah, go for the 64MB. If you aren't that much of a gamer, you won't need the extra memory (GeForce4Ti's only really need it for high FSAA modes - and by the time you set them that high, performance is bad anyway).