What's new

multiple pj64 installs, & saves

Qlone

hello,
I've been playing majora's mask now with no real big problems for a few weeks now! I installed pj641.5 normally(bout a month ago) and downloaded m.m. and was able to play right off the bat. But then my dad started his own game, while i was still unsure of the saving structures. we ran into a problem of: if i would try to go load my file, it would'nt be there, and same for him if he went looking for his file! so i figured i could install another copy of pj64 in another directory and keep one install for me and one for him(in attempt to keep the saves from conflicting?) it has been working fine for awhile now but today i was playing all day, then i saved and quit with the owl and let my dad play for awhile. after he was done i come back and go to load my file up and its gone...just like before, and i got the "failed to open flashram" error a couple times?
like i said we each had problems with our save files not being there when we go to play, but after not changing anything, for some reason the files for each of us would appear for us most the time!
when i first started playing I saved my game via the save slots in pj64...then once i figured the owl save out i've been using that.
I got the rom from a chinese site and its ran fine for most of the time, i havent checked to see if it was good though? i really just want to find out if my save file wich i saved with the owl today is floating around on my pc and not deleted? how can i get it back? and is two installations ok as long as their in diff directories?

thanks sorry for the length

some specs in profile.....

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You can keep a single emulator. Remember that the owls are just a temporary saving! Once you load the saving, it will dissappear! To save for real, you must play the song of time and save. You can also use savestates. Just remember that you two choose a diffrent slot. To choose slot 1, simply press 1 on the keyboad and f5 to save. Or f7 to load.
You may also access those from the menu.
Hope this helps.

OP
Q

Qlone

ok thanks so much for the reply,
so what will cause my (in game) save file to not be there after playing how i have been, i.e. i used the owls to quit n save a couple times possibly the last time i played, i think. i didnt know the song of time was how you really save,
the pj i open is in program files, where the one my dad opens is in my documents, could it still cause conflicts?
my save file has been there since i used two pj installs, and we've been able to find our (in game) files no problems untill now, is it because i only save n quit at the owl, is my file gone now?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Why don't you really try? Remember that even though you may have two copies of pj installed, they share the same settings!
If everything goes wrong, then try save states.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok a few points: (how this works depends a lot on how Windows is setup aswell as PJ64)

1) the default save path is $AppPath\Save\ which means a Save subfolder of the application folder, which means two copies of PJ64 in different locations should not interfere (in terms of state save files or native save files), even if you use the same windows logon, if you haven't changed the default settings (? - i'm out of practice, can anyone confirm).

2) the registry settings use HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which means if you have two windows logons (as is normal with WinXP, which you have - i.e you have different names on the welcome screen) then the registry settings should not interfere either! Everything you configure in PJ64, *including* the save folder path, but excluding RDB and Cheats, is a registry setting (RDB and Cheats use files in the PJ folder).

...following on from the points above, if you have both seperate installation folders *and* seperate windows logons, then for sure nothing should interfere (unless you set PJ to use the same paths (in Options)...)

OR

(if you have seperate logons) you can both use the same files and set different save folder paths (PJ options). this should also work fine for what you want (anyone confirm?) Changes to RDB and Cheats files would not be kept seperate, but that's not likely to matter?

Now forgetting about having seperate installations and windows logons:

3) If you really want to be sure you can always go "Save As..." (shortcut CTRL+S) to name a state save what you want, where you want.

4) ZeldaMM has two native save slots and there's no reason why two users can't co-exist on the same copy (in the same .fla save file). However,for quicksaving (F5/F7) make sure you agree on different slots (i.e. one of you could take 1-5 and the other 6-0). Better, see "Save As..." notes above.

5) You need to understand the native save system. As Doomulation says this game is *designed* to erase certain types of saves (owl statue) automatically, this could be what's confusing you?

6) You need to understand the difference between a native save and a state save, if you aren't clear the manual covers this. PJ uses the same path for both types of save ($AppPath\Save\) by default but you can make them different if you want.

Sorry it's difficult to say exactly what the sequence of events was in your case but I hope this helps you to work out what's going on. I might try to write up a more clear general guide for this scenario because it seems fairly common.

Last edited: