What's new

SDL Sound 1.1

JttL

Last few days I have been experimenting ways to optimize the plugin. And accidently I found out some interesting ways. (Aren't all big innovations originally accidents? ;) ). And thanks to one typo, this version of plugin seems to be much faster. (I want to hear your opinions about this, but at least on my computer it was faster.) Also few possible bugs and one Segmentation fault are fixed. More accurate changelog is in README -file.

And without more talk, grap the sources from http://www.porofarmi.net/jttl_sound-1.1.tar.gz

(!) The changes I made to syncronization code might cause problems with very fast computers. If you experience any problems, please report them to me.

lantus

txOjO said:
same problem :(...volume.

you know, if you looked at the code there is nothing to suggest that Jttl is modifying mix volumes at all. Therefore I fail to see how this is a bug in his plugin - which incidently runs great for me, keep up the good work!

OP
J

JttL

lantus said:
you know, if you looked at the code there is nothing to suggest that Jttl is modifying mix volumes at all. Therefore I fail to see how this is a bug in his plugin - which incidently runs great for me, keep up the good work!

That's true. I'm not modifying the sound at all, I just buffer it and send it to audio device. I have been targeting to performance and modifying the sound is the opposite to performance.

Even tought I have plans to split this project and make another version targetting to high performance and another version with buch of features but worser performance. It's always trade off between performance and features, and that doesn't make my life any easier.

txOjO

MDKEiToR
Hey! no problem jttl :)
This is the PC not the N64.
My N64 runs all of the games at full speed and 4 players in 1.
Sorry!!!! my intention is for your plugin, no contain bugs or other pieces of code can't run
games on a PC. The N64 is in middle of "obsoloteism" (big word) :sombrero:
My intention first is study english a little(or big) more, and can expressive me.
sorry again :) You are good programmer, don't believe in bugs :)

Shin_Gouki

i´ve tested the plugin a little and it worked great for me on Mario 64, Zelda OOT at the intro when the flute begins to play it stocks a lillte , but IMO the best available sound plugin for linux !!
keep up to the good work , i´m realy lokking forward to the development of the plugin :)
wbr Shin Gouki

masterpe

Sound problems here aswell

First some system specs:

Kernel: Linux 2.6.0-test9-mm2
Distro: Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.12
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+ @ 2163 MHz
Videocard: nVidia Corporation NV15DDR [GeForce2 Ti]
Audio: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1

I compiled the plugin here and while it does work 100 times better then the default audio plugin, it produces quite a bit of noise though. (prolly the same problem as txOjO is having)

More relevant information:

I run alsa with full OSS EMU enabled (which is the default audio). I can verify that other sdl based applications run fine (mplayer, zsnes).

I have SDL 1.2.6-r2 installed.

I hope you can find what's causing this noise and hopefully a way to correct it. Mupen will be so great once that's working good for me :)

Thanx for all the effort.

OP
J

JttL

Noise

masterpe said:
I compiled the plugin here and while it does work 100 times better then the default audio plugin, it produces quite a bit of noise though. (prolly the same problem as txOjO is having)
I have heard about this noise thing before, but I haven't been able to find its source because very likely I don't have this problem myself. Is there any particular game where this noise is most disturbing?

In mario I can hear some scratching but not very much noticable. I can hear that also with default mupen plugin so it must be problem in rsp plugin.

If you're interested I could send you a special debuging version which could give me much more information but I would need you to come to irc.
masterpe said:
More relevant information:

I run alsa with full OSS EMU enabled (which is the default audio). I can verify that other sdl based applications run fine (mplayer, zsnes).
There is the main difference between our systems. I do use native OSS because I got problems with 2.6. series kernel. (I know it works also with 2.4. but I'll wait until final 2.6. until next kernel compilation.)
masterpe said:
I have SDL 1.2.6-r2 installed.

I hope you can find what's causing this noise and hopefully a way to correct it. Mupen will be so great once that's working good for me :)

Thanx for all the effort.
I'll do my best to fix it but I focus most of my time to 2.0 version which is very much rewritten. Ofcourse I want to find out about this problem before releasing 2.0 because this seems to be problem for such many and I wish to avoid this problem in next version.

OP
J

JttL

Irc

masterpe said:
Tell me where I can find you on IRC and I'll drop by to debug it with you.

Law
You can find me from efnet at mupens channel (#mupen) and from IRCnet.

JttL