What's new

Idea - 16x9 Output?

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
Just curious to see if this is even possible - can something be written/added/changed to make a video plugin use a 16x9 aspect as opposed to a standard 4:3?

Just curious if this can be done - I was playing No Mercy on the boss' Plasma unit, watching his house while he was out of town. THAT was SICK! :)

blight

I think it would be possible but i have absolutely no idea how much work it would be to implement it (maybe one line, maybe 50 lines at different places)

oDD

/me odd
Id say its not possible.

The Nintendo 64 was designed for use on 4:3 tv's. This means that only the polygons that will be seen on the screen will be rendered.

Video plugins only render display lists that the Nintendo 64 generates, they dont have the ability to request more polygons to the left or right of the screen. SO if you increase the width of the viewport (when going to 16:9) youll start seeing the ends of polygons and/or no polygons where youd expect them to be.

I drew up a little example if you still dont understand.

pandamoan

Banned
Lillymon said:
Uhh, I'm pretty certain Goldeneye included a 16x9 mode.

doesn't blight code a plugin or an emu or something? i'm going to agree with him.

:)

it's possible, might be hard, might not be.

oDD

/me odd
Lillymon said:
Uhh, I'm pretty certain Goldeneye included a 16x9 mode.

All that does is compress everything horizontally so that when its stretched from 4:3 by a tv to 16:9 it appears as normal.

You could stretch the viewport to 16:9 and it would look ok in goldeneye with 16:9 mode on, but any other game would make everything look "fat". :)

Edit:
I modifed UltraHLE and took some shots.

The first is Mario 64 16:9 stretched, the second is Mario 64 16:9 normal and as you can see, some polys are missing or ending. The third is goldeneye 16:9 stretched, but in 16:9 mode which when stretched looks normal.

Last edited: