What's new

What the best PSX Emulator?

JuniorZ

Open your mind
I'm looking for PSX emulators and have tested the ePSX and the PCSX and want to know actualy what is the best?

Can you help me?

Clements

Personally I don't because I haven't worked out how to config it properly yet! :p

But I recommend you do get ePSXeCutor v1.0.6.0 if you have a lot of games, as it saves you changing plugins for individual games once it's set up.

Allnatural

GogoTheMimic said:
Pardon my naivate but what the hell is a frontend?
A program that acts as an interface for another program, to put it simply. In the case of ePSXe, ePSXeCutor allows the creation of per-game profiles, since most games require specific settings or plugins for best quality/performance. The frontend saves the trouble of adjusting the myriad settings each time you play a game.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Ah, sounds lovely. I just downloaded all of the stuff Clemens suggested and in Tactics, the sound is a bit off. I'm using the internal one that came with, should I try Petes?

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Yes. The internal ePSXe sound plugin is nowhere near as good as P.E.Op.S or Eternal. I prefer using P.E.Op.S myself.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Lillymon said:
Yes. The internal ePSXe sound plugin is nowhere near as good as P.E.Op.S or Eternal. I prefer using P.E.Op.S myself.

Actually, it really depends on the game your running and your sound card. The PEOPS spu plugin works great with certain games, but try running it with Metal Gear Solid. In which case, the Internal epsxe plugin is actually better at. The best plugin for Square Final Fantasy games is the Eternal Spu.

Different hardware configurations all behave differently to different plugins. The best way to find what's good for you is to use a frontend like Executor to store different configurations and try them out on different games.

revl8er

That Damn Good
VGS and Emurayden are good emulators, but they don't have as good of compatability as Epsxe. You might also want to try PSXeven.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
ARTH said:
Good PSX emulators??? VGS and Emurayden.

Emurayden is a hack of VGS. Nothing more.

VGS has no hardware accelleration. It's all software. Epsxe, Psxeven, PCSx, FPSE are all plugin based hardware accellerated psx emulators.

There is also a MAC psx emulator which is in early development and will also use plugins.