What's new

Is this a problem of FX 5200 or something else?

cablecity

I am back after a long time...

My question is:
I had a GForce 2 GTS/Pro with 64 MB RAM.
I found a GForrce FX 5200 with 128 MB RAM and I put it on my machine (AMD 2400-QDI VIA 333-256 RAM).

The problem is with this card (directX 9 installed) the PJ 64 1.5 SP1 it is start to play a game (ANY Game...), but after a minute or more (and NOT at the same point at the game, each time in an other point..) it freeze the system and only with a reboot can I restore it.

Is this a problem of this card?
Is there any solution?
Is the FX 5200 128 MB BETTER of GForce2 GTS/PRO 64 MB (not only for PJ but as a VGA card)?

ps : with same games, like MARIO CART, it is playing about 3-4 minutes, but with MARIO PARTY 2 and 3 it is playing only for a minute..

Steveman610

Hmm.... It might be that your video card is overheating. That's all i could think of. plus, how can you FIND a gforce fx 5200 ?

revl8er

That Damn Good
those videocards have fans on them so I don't think it's overheating. Try updating to the newest nvidia drivers.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Mystic Gohan said:
those videocards have fans on them so I don't think it's overheating. Try updating to the newest nvidia drivers.

Nope. The FX 5200 normal's reference design doesn't call for a fan.

WhiteX

Depends on the manufacturer, the msi for an example ships it with a fan. (plus 10 game cds)

euphoria

Emutalk Member
IMO take the card to shop that sold it and replace it. Computer parts shouldn't be causing troubles like that. I had problem with my Radeon 9100 and waited couple months thinking it was driver related and when i finally took it to the shop it turns out it had bad memory.

Geoz

De Master
(!) Does this happen with other emu, i mean do emus like 1964 mupen etc crash in the same place, i think that should be tried before exchanging the card.

Gigahurtz

Feel the speed
I use to have problems (random freezing in pj64) in the past. I thought it was my video card but it wasn't for me. My old computer was a p3 600 mhz e-machines, 256 mb ram, cheap motherboard and a 125 watt power supply. I took my video card, (the All in wonder Radeon), out of it and put it in my new system, p4 2.0ghz, 256 ram, 250 watt power supply and phoenix bios(v1.x something). and I never had the same problem ever again. I think what could cause these type of problems are the power supply (I know that some of the newer nvidia cards require systems with at least 250 watt power supply, 300 recommended) and the motherboard. So if you have the latest software and drivers, try investigating what motherboard you have and what output your power supply has. Perhaps, you may need more powerful hardware.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
WhiteX said:
Depends on the manufacturer, the msi for an example ships it with a fan. (plus 10 game cds)

...which is why I said 'reference design'... also consider that for cards like this, most mfr's DO use the reference design, or something very close to it.