What's new

what about....(linking)

shark1686

yeah i know its next to impossible to link two pcs cause the gba transfers at 2 mb's a second BUT how hard would it be to have something like tgb duel going on like on the same pc?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
not only it's possible but it makes me thinking about something....
If the emulator is fast enough to emulate two or more gba on the same pc, it's probably possible to program a trick to enable multiplayer through a network:
all PC that are joining the game must emulate all the gba (the emu don't need to display the screen of each of them but it still has to emulate all of them), then you only have to use kaillera to send the control the players are using to all PCs...
it's probably slow and hard to implement but at least it's possible ;)

Cyberman

It might not be as simple as that but that's pretty close to the only way I can think it will work. Emulate multiple virtual GBA systems. To reduce CPU overhead phantom access to video memory would probably work. It really depends on what the programers used for there multilink protocol. As Hacktarux said at that point it's just broadcasting button pushing (which would be best implemented using UDP) between systems.
Most of the processor time I believe is consumed performing the video graphics (heck just emulating what is happening but not actually viewing it will save a lot of processor time). I suspect this is something for a seperate thread in the application. The resources it consumes might need to be watched carefully though. Now if I remember correctly you can multilink with a ROM or without a ROM right? IE play with 4 other people that don't have that ROM instead in there GBA and all the data gets sent to there GBA, that might be a bit callenging. IF they require the ROM in the GBA then it shouldn't be a problem.

Cyb

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Hacktarux said:
not only it's possible but it makes me thinking about something....
If the emulator is fast enough to emulate two or more gba on the same pc, it's probably possible to program a trick to enable multiplayer through a network:
all PC that are joining the game must emulate all the gba (the emu don't need to display the screen of each of them but it still has to emulate all of them), then you only have to use kaillera to send the control the players are using to all PCs...
it's probably slow and hard to implement but at least it's possible ;)

Already done. :D That's how TGB Dual works for Netplay. And, except for the utter lack of syncronization in netplay, it works quite well.