What's new

NAOMI emulation

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Is there anything like that? I mean that really cool arcade machine, that has Guilty Gear X and Capcom versus SNK. I thought that it would be easy to emulate, since the Neo-Geo and CPS2 are already emulated, but I saw that I was wrong when I saw the 3D background in CVS2.

blizz

the Naomi is effectively a more powerful DC, so we should expect the Naomi and the DC to emulated about the same time round, as with the Killer Instinct arcade games and the N64

OP
DuDe

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Well, yeah, it does, but not all of the acrades. It doesn`t support Impact, or KI, and definitely not NAOMI.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
NAOMI is really hard to emulate because of it's complexability therefore I don't think we'll ever see a true NAOMI emu but we can still hope that someone will put up the effort

blizz

people said we'd never see an N64 emulator and then UltraHLE turned up, never say never ;)

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Well you never know do you ?
Yeah I remeber it very well :

There will never be an N64 emu and a month later there was UltraHLE which didn't survive :(

OP
DuDe

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
ROM emulator? I don`t get it, what`s that? In order to get a rom emulated, don`t you have to emulate the hardware?

blizz

a true-emu emulates every single aspect and quirk needed to accurately emulate the system and thus enable any code compiled for that system to run in that emu,

a rom emu however emulates only the necessary parts to get a binary image complied for a system running, commonly employing hacks too

thus MAME can be considered a true emulator and UltraHLE can be considered a ROM emulator

theartofbone

Ugh, the term rom emulator is very... stupid. Emulator means make pretend, rom means read only memory (where all the info is stored), so if you have a rom emulator, you have software making pretend its the binary image..

What you mean is that UltraHLE is more of a high level emu (even say so in th ename) than a low level like mame.

blizz

true but ROM Emulator is just so much more easier to say, because for most people you say high level and they'll say "What?"

plus UltraHLE had a large number of specific hacks for specific games.

theartofbone

Yeah your right, alot of people would be confused if we used LLE or HLE for terms more often. Maybe we can say utrahle is an interpreter for early n64 rom images.

blizz

that's an idea

however getting across the idea of HLE and LLE is probably better in the long run

but people will always be lazy ;)