What's new

Halo on PC? (with XBOX Emulator)

apexad

Halo on PC?

Halo was originally going to be released for the PC. Early in it's develpment it was ported to an early release of the XDK. Infact, it was so early that some say it was before the XBox's specs were even finalized. So, because Halo uses XDK 3911 it was thought that it would be near impossible to emulate without that XDK Version in the hands of emulator developers.

O-well, Halo is being ported back to PC and Mac OS X, so it doesn't matter, right? Well, I'd say Yes! But, _SF_ doesn't agree with me on this. He's written an emulator, that he is calling Xeon. It's caused quite a stir, and nobody but _SF_ knows the truth, but it would appear at this point that it is real.

If it can be expanded to run anything besides Halo, or if it is so Very Very High Level Emulation that it basically assumes your running Halo and knows exactly what is suppose to happen is where the question remains.

This story is bound to change as with all things only time will tell, so for now this is it!

Download it here
Plus an Updated Core here

Last edited:

Gorxon

Administrator
apexad said:
It's called Xeon, and it *might* be real. As far as I can tell, if it is real, it is far to slow and far to buggy to allow you to play the game, but it may actually get into the menu screens and stuff, which is more then cxbx does. The reason Halo was thought to be near impossible to emulate was because it was compiled with xdk 3911.

This emulator is still undergoing speculation, some source has been released, and it appears legit, but it's still questionable. I'll Update if I find anything else.

UPDATE: Added some Supposed Screenshots, I will let you decide for yourself!

Is it me or does the background look EXACTLY like if you use the Photoshop function Clouds (Render/Clouds). I don't know how the menu are supposed to look like on the real game as I have never played it, but this seemed a but suspicious. I could easily have knocked up such screens in minutes...
But again I dunno how they are supposed to look like...

OP
A

apexad

Gorxon said:
Is it me or does the background look EXACTLY like if you use the Photoshop function Clouds (Render/Clouds). I don't know how the menu are supposed to look like on the real game as I have never played it, but this seemed a but suspicious. I could easily have knocked up such screens in minutes...
But again I dunno how they are supposed to look like...

Well, I tried it myself with my 700mhz P3, NVIDA TNT64, 128MB RAM and I got the same main menu shot.

In any case, Halo, more or less does look like that. So no, If it is fake I don't think he just used photoshop to render graphics, and if he did, he sure as hell did a damn good job of making it look like Halo actually does.

Here is a link for more supposed screenshot of the emulator:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=88904&st=0

ShadowPrince

Too bad it seems to run only on WinXP.
But looking at dlls with hex editor i can say with very high probability the emu is real . Whats seems to be strange to me,why he not added ISO support before releasing this out ,it's easy to add relatively to all the work he already done.
Here is the source of the news :
http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Remote

Hopefully this is not a fake but I have to agree with Gorxon that is looks suspicially similar to PS render clouds. But after reading the thread on ngemu, http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40464&pagenumber=1, where the author comes forward and takes credit and offers a download it might turn out to be real. If it is and if caustik and _SF_ joins forces once again it looks like Xbox emulation could progress quite fast. :D

Last edited:
OP
A

apexad

It seems to run fine on Windows 2000. I'm only getting 1fps, but I can get that same Main Menu screen as psoted above.

I personally belive that it is fake. It's not your classic fake emulator though. He really did put alot of hard work into it. He is trying to make it not look fake. but there is just too many things it is doing that don't make sense.

It was said that if you use the cache files from halo on the xbox tha it may run better, so I said alright. Halo saved my cache files to x:\

I ran API Log and got:

CreateThread(lpThreadAttributes = 00000000, dwStackSize = 00004000, lpStartAddress = 00033AF0, lpParameter = 00000000, dwCreationFlags = 00000000, lpThreadId = 00000000)
sprintf(028DF53C, z:\cache%03d.map)
DeleteFile(Name = z:\cache007.map)

<more stuff here>

But the point is, there is 2 things.
1. It is really running Halo and it was designed specifically to run Halo so much that it can't run anything else

2. It's designed so that it appears it is running Halo.

Best thing I can do is compare it to this: :robot:
Seems like an ordinary smile, but underneath it is doing so much more then the eye can see.

If none of that makes sense, let me put it this way, I am 99.99% confident that this emulator is fake. The best fake ever made, but fake nevertheless.

Last edited:

ShadowPrince

Emulator is clearly HLE,may be so high level ,that it hardly can be called emulator,more like simulator .
Nothing suspicious about it running only 1 game.
Uhle initially run only Mario and Zelda and a few others,and compatibility increased with new ini entries.
Yet again,i don't believe someone invested so much time and effort in creating a fake,so it got to be real thing.

Remote

Time will tell, but if it's a fake why would he go through all the work of writing the Pixelshaders and then giving them to caustik, can't really tell if they are real or not but it just seems unneccesary. Although, if it's fake Xeon as a whole is quite unneccesary.

#2 could be a very possible option, I though about that myself...

Gorxon

Administrator
Remote said:
Time will tell, but if it's a fake why would he go through all the work of writing the Pixelshaders and then giving them to caustik, can't really tell if they are real or not but it just seems unneccesary. Although, if it's fake Xeon as a whole is quite unneccesary.

#2 could be a very possible option, I though about that myself...

I actually believe that it is real as several people have got it working. But it is quite a lot of work and requires you to download cache files and such from your xbox...hopefully it will be developed further so that this isn't needed in the fufture.

Gorxon

Administrator
firestarter said:
You know, there is a PC version out now, isn't there?

Not yet...this could hurt sales of Halo for PC somewhat tho, but i guess the people who is gonna pirate halo for xbox is gonna pirate halo for pc anyway... :ermm:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Try running it on a really slow machine. I bet it still runs at 1fps.

All this stuff is making me feel like photoshoping a GCN Emu in action. :devil:

ector

Emulator Developer
The reason for the photoshop clouds is that they were used by halo team to give some kind of sheen to the user interface, but of course on the real halo they are blended so weakly that they don't look like photoshop clouds. The emulator doesn't blend correctly, so this is what you get :)

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Gorxon said:
Not yet...this could hurt sales of Halo for PC somewhat tho
I doubt that an emulator that runs a game at 1 fps can hurt the sales of its PC port.

Martin

Administrator
I have no luck at all. It just displays 1 FPS for about a second, then it quits and restarts the emulator.

katon

What's the deal with cornnuts?
DuDe said:
I doubt that an emulator that runs a game at 1 fps can hurt the sales of its PC port.

sigh... emulation does not hurt sales
well... on a large scale
b/c there are still ppl who buy
there are always ppl who buy actually
so it shouldnt matter

JX030389

Can someone spare a screensho before I buy a new Graphics card and Halo? P.S. Zophar's Domain has the system requirments listed