What's new

Half-assed Benchmarks

Vchat20

just recently I had to get a brnad new computer due to the motherboard croaking in my old 333MHZ machine. now I got a 2GHZ, 256 MB DDR RAM computer running winxp home. the video is intel and has 64MB. sound im not so sure. I just moved all my emulation stuff over and ran a couple N64 roms. here are the ones I ran:

Mario Kart 64
Megaman 64
Super Smash Brothers
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium 2
San Fransisco Rush 2049

all ran full screen 800x600x16bit and full sound. 99% of the time I was hitting 60fps on those. in the past, from what ive been reading here, you all have been claiming that it would take atleast a 4GHZ machine to run any N64 games at decent rates with sound enabled. then why in the hell am I getting these good results? can someone answer that for me?

P.S. my DX9 info is attached here.

Trotterwatch

in the past, from what ive been reading here, you all have been claiming that it would take atleast a 4GHZ machine to run any N64 games at decent rates with sound enabled

Then you've totally misread. All the games you listed I could get full speed on an Athlon 900mhz + GF3 combo, with sound, with Antialiasing and AF too @ 1024x768 32bit colour.

I doubt anyone has ever stated you would need such a fast PC unless they were talking about:

A) A game that has known issues and needs to be run in intepreter mode for example

B) Running a non-hardware accelerated graphics plugin

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
4GHz? WTF are you smoking? :ninja:

There's no N64 rom that isn't compatible with PJ (excluding Goldeneye which I get about 56 constant FPS at 1280x1024 w/8xAF and 4xAA with sound) that my machine can't run at full speed. I'm curious as to where you read anything about 4GHz being required to run any N64 roms perfectly. :franken:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
My 1.2ghz duron was fully capable of running them too. my athlon xp is probably capable of running things better than your celeron, i honestly think celerons are a pile of rubbish anyway, but thats opinion.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yeah. Numbers like 4GHz and up to 6GHz have been thrown around for a fully LLE, software rendering N64 emulator (perfect gameplay and output)... but never for the hybrid HLE setup used now.