What's new

Problems with DVI

Martin

Administrator
Heh you don't see me posting a lot of questions at EmuTalk. :)

Here's the problem:

I have a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (unbranded, it seems) that has the regular VGA-out port, svideo-out and DVI. My monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 171P has dual input, meaning I can hook up one computer through analog RGB and one through the digital DVI input. So I did that. I have my server connected through RGB and my workstation through DVI. The problem is that in the monitor's native resolution 1280x1024 (DVI) the screen flickers and the image gets distorted, it's only noticeable when reading light text on dark or black backgrounds, like when viewing Emulation64.com. Other than that, the picture is crystal clear. I've not noticed this in lower resolutions or when using RGB. The funny thing is, when I use Pivot in the resolution 1024x1280 (DVI again, RBG works perfectly in all resolutions) the picture works perfectly. Would have expected it to have the same problems.

I think it could be that either the monitor is damaged (this is the first time I'm using DVI), the graphics card is damaged or they're simply not compatible:

* I've tested the graphics card in both my server and my workstation - same problem in both.
My workstation uses Win XP Pro SP1 and the server uses Windows Server 2003 Standard.

* I've tried both official and unoffical Detonators.

* I've tried uninstalling the Samsung drivers and noticed the same problem without them installed.

* I've updated VIA 4in1 and motherboard BIOS.

The monitor has its DVI cable attached to it, it's built in, so I can't replace it. I've not tested with another graphics card that has DVI simply because I don't own one or know someone who has one. Here's my setup more detailed if someone think they can help:

OS: WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build #2600)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53 GHz
Video: SyncMaster 171p/ 175p/ 170p, MagicSyncMaster CX175BD(Digital)
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (1280x1024x32bpp 60Hz)
Motherboard: MS-6380 (K7T266 Pro2-RU, K7T266 Pro2) with BIOS 3.70
Sound: SB Live! 1024
Memory: 512MB

VIA Chipset Drivers 4.46
Detonators 44.03
DirectX 9.0b

Someone send me a card with DVI so I can test it ;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I think the that its more likely the card is broken than the monitor being screwed, however, since I have had bad experiences with VIA Chipsets I blame them too ! ;) well maybe theres no reason to believe that lol, try taking it back and getting a new one, and see how that works for you, only way to find out.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
He can't take it back, it's a refence board that I sent him:p

I think it's some dodgy card issue myself, but think about the more games you can play martin :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Heh okay, it's not a big problem. It works fine in analogue at least :D And it's about twice as fast as my old card. :)