What's new

Beta feedback and or bugs for Simple Shutdown v1.1.9b

Hi all, does anybody want to help me test out a small and simple program for me?
It's called Simple Shutdown, it's only for Windows XP, and I only can test it so far.

All I need is some feedback on this program and any bugs you may find.
Warring: this program will shutdown your computer, only use when your done using your computer.

What this program can do, log off/shutdown/reboot/cancel/quick reboot/quick shutdown/force quick reboot/force quick shutdown/remote shutdown/reboot.
It works out of the DOS-Box in XP, it's also free.

Download is only about 9k.

To find it, just click on the image in my sig (Note: click on the "Simple Shutdown" image), and it will take you to my small site.

I know it's not much but, tell me what you think, and of course tell me about any bugs you find ;)

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Ok i' test it. It works ok here.

Does it use shell32? If that's the case i hardly think there can be something broken.

Maybe you can add some other modes, like Sleep and Hibernate (and fast user switch?)

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
NeTo said:
Ok i' test it. It works ok here.

Does it use shell32? If that's the case i hardly think there can be something broken.

Maybe you can add some other modes, like Sleep and Hibernate (and fast user switch?)

Thanks NeTo, I'll try to add Sleep, Hibernate and switch User over the weekend.

nephalim said:
What's the point of it? Having a command line way to shutdown?

Well, since you use a notebook, i guess you can't see the point of this.
I made this small program because my cat likes to sit in front of my mouse.

Last edited:
OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
New version, fast user switch down, sleep and hibernate to go.

Just click on the Simple Shutdown image in my sig too go to my site and download version 1.1.91b.

Feedback, bugs and anything you want me too try to add, post it here.

Edit: Bad file fixed just now.
Version 1.1.91b full turned out to a bad upload, I just re-uploaded it today.
This is what you get when you try out a new FTP program (well, it's not new, but it's new to me ;)), oh well, it has been fixed now.

Last edited:
OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
Two down, one to go!

OK, I just added Hibernate mode, hopefully, I will get sleep mode added by the end of the week.

To help me out, does anybody know what command Windows use's to put the computer into sleep mode?
E,g,. rundll32 some_dll_file.dll,dll_file_command

I want to add sleep mode before I upload v1.1.92b to my web site.

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
AlphaWolf said:
Why don't you just assign a key combination to it? The shell already supports doing that.

I assume you mean something like this:
Ctrl + Alt + X

I already have this key combination assign to this, but nothing happens when I press "Ctrl + Alt + X".
Or do mean something else?

Doomulation said:
What? Are you invoking rundll32 to execute those commands?
Or...am I wrong? :huh:
I just want to know what command Windows executes, I've been entering rundll32 commands at the command line allmost all weekend.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
URAMetroid said:
I just want to know what command Windows executes, I've been entering rundll32 commands at the command line allmost all weekend.
It just seemed weird to me asking for the full rundll32 command-line instead of just asking library and function.

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
Doomulation said:
It just seemed weird to me asking for the full rundll32 command-line instead of just asking library and function.

Well, thats what I ment, OK, does anybody know what library file and function Windows uses to go into sleep mode?

Noupe

Grog
URAMetroid said:
To help me out, does anybody know what command Windows use's to put the computer into sleep mode?
E,g,. rundll32 some_dll_file.dll,dll_file_command

All things related to hibernation and such are stuffed in powrprof.dll.

A quick browse with PE Explorer hints that a suitable export might be SetSuspendState.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
URAMetroid said:
I assume you mean something like this:
Ctrl + Alt + X

I already have this key combination assign to this, but nothing happens when I press "Ctrl + Alt + X".
Or do mean something else?

no.

URAMetroid said:

for NT based windows: SHUTDOWN -s -t 00
(they copied that almost exactly from unix)
for 9X based windows: C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

Create a common windows shortcut, set either of these for the target, and set a key combination in the "shortcut key" field.

to restart, similar concept:
SHUTDOWN -r -t 00
or
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,restartwindows

This command will hibernate if hibernation is enabled, or suspend if hibernation isn't enabled, with NT based windows:
c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,setsuspendstate

Dunno what it is with 9X based windows.

Last edited:
OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
Noupe said:
All things related to hibernation and such are stuffed in powrprof.dll.

A quick browse with PE Explorer hints that a suitable export might be SetSuspendState.

Thanks Noupe, I just added that 2 days ago, but thanks again :)

AlphaWolf said:
no.

for NT based windows: SHUTDOWN -s -t 00
(they copied that almost exactly from unix)
for 9X based windows: C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

Create a common windows shortcut, set either of these for the target, and set a key combination in the "shortcut key" field.

to restart, similar concept:
SHUTDOWN -r -t 00
or
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,restartwindows

This command will hibernate if hibernation is enabled, or suspend if hibernation isn't enabled, with NT based windows:
c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,setsuspendstate

Dunno what it is with 9X based windows.

Also, thanks AlphaWolf, I know about the shutdown command, but I didn't know about user.exe,restartwindows
But what I use in Win9X to restart is:
rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

Well, thanks again, but does anybody know how Windows XP puts the computer into sleep mode?
Or any program that can help me find this out?

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
New Version

New version, 1.1.92b
I only added two things, which are:

New menu look
Hibernation/Sleep mode

Hibernation mode will only work if it's enabled on your computer, if it's not enabled, your computer go into Sleep mode.
So tell me if you like this program, and if it works for you or not, and anything you would like me too add to it.

Doomulation said:
I don't know, but maybe you can find your answer here: http://www.planet-source-code.com
Although the most section of code is for vb, there's some really great and amazing code samples there. There's also a c++ section.

Thanks Doomulation, I didn't find what I'm looking for (I only did a quick look), but I will keep this site in mind.

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
I just realized something

FYI:
I just realized something, my program may stop your PC from shutting down from that new worm.
I know most of you have canceled the shutdown from this worm by now, but to do so:

Hit the "C" key to cancel

And it will stop the shutdown.
Just letting you know this, nothing more.

Last edited: