What's new

StarFox 64 slows down on Good System

Spicules

Have Latest release 8.5, Using Jabosd3d 1.4, Azimers .30 Sound and Nrage V8 input. Using Win XP w/ 1.1ghz athalon, Geforce 4 4400, 256mb ram and Sblive Xgamer.

Starfox slows down, though its not like a frameskipping slowdown. Its like a dramatic, slow motion. Its not REALLY slow, its like I have a slowmotion button going at certain points. Its usually when stuff gets hairy, but like I said, its not like Im dropping frames. Decreasing resolution (1024x768---->800x600------->640x480) doesnt do anything. Plus my system should be enuff. Is there some special option I need to check?
Ive tried the video speed sync - but this doesnt seem to do anything.
Any help greatly appreciated.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
why are you using jabo's 1.4? it's not as good as either tr64 opengl, jabo's 1.5, or Rice's Deadalus 5.1.0, all of which hit 60+fps on my xp2100 with a gf2 ti 64.
I'm not sure if you really want to hear this, but microsoft has said that windows XP will use 256megs of ram, just for the OS. I went from 256 to 384, and got a 25% speed increase. I went to 768, and I now have about 60-70% better performance. XP and 2k both suck ram like nobody's business.

If you want a different answer, tell me if it works faster in pj64. If it does, then you may need to do some registry clearing. I had a similar problem once and cleaning the registry entries fixed the odd settings that had broken.

OP
S

Spicules

OPen Gl looks like crap, Rice Daedealus just gives me a black screen. 1.5 Jabos works fine - but does the same thing. Project 64 DOES work better for me, but it has a sound bug on some of the levels (Fortuna, Titania), so I was looking for an alternate emu.

Also, im not dropping frames - during the slowdowns I have like 58-59 fps, its just as if the game is slowing down for some dramatic moment or something. With PJ64 I have no slowdowns, and from what I understand, its a slower emu, correct?

What registries would I need to mess with? How would i do it?

Last edited:

karth95

Lord of the Cats
The vast majority of users leave their machine to run however their oem configured it. This can mean they load up to 9 programs on startup, and suck down all the ram you have.

In any case, the 1964 folder has an uninstall folder in it. Run the appropriate registry file, and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then I'm out of suggestions. Sounds like Tag probably has some good advice, though.

Clements

Starfox 64 slowing down during the intermission screens is a known issue.

Edit: I use glNintendo64() for Starfox64 because it slows down less and looks better. Try that.

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Clements said:
Starfox 64 slowing down during the intermission screens is a known issue.

Edit: I use glNintendo64() for Starfox64 because it slows down less and looks better. Try that.

Looks like a sign of possibly the wrong conter factor setting.

Please try different counter factors and then play the game again.

Kahenraz

karth95 said:
XP and 2k both suck ram like nobody's business.

I beg to differ on that. I use win2k on ALL my machines and it is the most resource optimized windows OS there is, in my oppinion. Win2k ran perfectly on my old p233 MMX w/96mb of ram.

Martin

Administrator
Kahenraz said:
I beg to differ on that. I use win2k on ALL my machines and it is the most resource optimized windows OS there is, in my oppinion. Win2k ran perfectly on my old p233 MMX w/96mb of ram.

Me too, I've been running Win2k SP3 on my server (P233 MMX, 40 RAM) for a long time and it works good.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
aight, aight... I've been beaten down. I guess I should rephrase..

Once I got above 256mb of ram, all of my machines running 2k have had enormous speed increases. This may not apply to anyone else.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Load up the map screen on Star Fox 64 with jabos direct 3d, any version and see what happens, on every system i've tried the game drops to less than 10fps, this is the plugins fault, and no its not a counter factor issue, if it were why doesn't this slow down effect rices dedalus plugin at this point.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Well, I guess Jabo's GFX renderer has the same type of problem with Star Fox 64 that it does with Cruisn' USA with that slow and jerky problem. :(

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
That is a very interesting problem... it goes at full speed, then gradually slows down. Switching to full screen and back sped it up, but it slowed down again.