What's new

Next Gen Emulator speeds?

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Just a fun query really! Cyrus has already said that Icarus is slow even on high end systems
What sort of speeds do you think will be required to emulate PS2 GC and XBox emus?

Lemmy

Gamecube with GOOD (well maybe really good) dynrec would probably need a 3 ghz plus a direct3d 9 card (pixelshaders 2.0 would help alot cause of its advanced gfx). But 4-5 ghz would probably be more realistic.

XBOX something around 1 to 2 ghz, cause dynrec should be easier to do. But not an expert there.

I guess for PS2 you'd need something around 3 ghz.

Those are all my guesses. It highly depends on the quality of the emulator and the power of the systems which are difficult to estimate for me.

cheers

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Interesting - Doesn't the PS2 use two processors like the Saturn? I may be totally wrong, but that would be hell. What about the Dreamcast?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
PS2 uses three processors. It's going to need a LOT of power to emulate.

Lemmy: GameCube uses a PowerPC core, why would a dynarec be used? It'd be a recompiler just like any PowerPC, MIPS, 65816, etc... emulator.

Kahenraz

I think that the real challenge with gamecube emulation is that gamecube is based off of the mac's whatever-you-call-it processor. o_O

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Question: Isn't the XboX using (relatively) standard PC chips? If that's the case, wouldn't emulation be simple, other than "cracking" the system?

Reznor007

Truly emulating Xbox will be VERY hard. CXBX basically just hacks the games into running on your PC, it doesn't really emulate the Xbox though.

Emulating Gamecube will be difficult because of the undocumented video chip and PowerPC chip, which is difficult to emulate.

PS2 is just another MIPS based system though, and just look at how many MIPS emulators are around. Emulating the vector units will be hella slow though.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Reznor007 said:
Truly emulating Xbox will be VERY hard. CXBX basically just hacks the games into running on your PC, it doesn't really emulate the Xbox though.

yeah but its just the same outcome though, the game will play on ya pc, plus emulating the xbox will be very difficult, and will take a high spec system

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Reznor007: Another problem with emulating the PS2 is framebuffer effects, plus any games that really abuse PS2's monstrous fill rate (MGS2, for example) will chug horribly even on an HLE renderer.

ector

Emulator Developer
Tagrineth said:
Reznor007: Another problem with emulating the PS2 is framebuffer effects, plus any games that really abuse PS2's monstrous fill rate (MGS2, for example) will chug horribly even on an HLE renderer.

I'm pretty sure your average ATI Radeon has a far more monstrous fillrate than even the PS2 :)

SurfPA

Banned
uhh this is kind of related....but how similar is xbox to your standard pc. the reason im asking is because im wondering how much "emulation" will be needed to fully emulate an xbox.

blizz

somehow I'm reminded of the "there will never be an N64 emu" bollocks.... and then came UltraHLE ;)

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
You know you're "old school" if you remember all the "there will never be an N64 emu" rukus. :) HLE truly changed the world of emulation. It's good by allowing more complex systems to be emulated, such as allowing system as old as the N64 to be run on a standard system, but it's bad (IMHO) by allowing emulation of systems that are still in their prime. I think i'm the only one who is hoping next-gen emulation takes a few years before commercial games are playable (by very conservative standards.)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
What's funny, is, ZSNES for example had been HLE'ing its graphics engine for a long time before UltraHLE made the practice popular :)

ector

Emulator Developer
You could say that, but UltraHLE did some emulation at a much higher level, hooking OS functions that the dynarec couldn't handle and redirect them to C functions that performed their functions. From what i've understood, UltraHLE didn't bother to emulate the RSP co-processor either, but simply recognized the highlevel commands sent to it, and translated them to Glide.
Zsnes doesn't do anything similar, it's simply impossible on the SNES since there is no common OS code in games or co-processor with microcode. It would perhaps be possible to HLE the sound coprocessor in a few games but compatibility would drop, just like UltraHLE.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
ector, what I mean is, it doesn't attempt to emulate the SNES's graphics engine as it should be run, it's instead done in a completely different way. Like 100% different.