What's new

Help with emulation

XxCrashxX

I know this is in the wrong place Im sorry
I just need some advice from the pros
OK heres the deal I want to start on an emulator
where would be the first place to look (documents websites etc)
in order to create simple executables and how to compile them etc etc

any help would be greatly appreciated

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It would fit in the programming forum.
And, before you start, concider that you need to know C/C++ and have about 3 years of coding experience.

If you meat these requirments, you can get info at http://pj64.emulation64.com/emubook

If you meat the requirements, then...good luck.

OP
X

XxCrashxX

OH sorry I didnt specify I dont mean an n64 emu
I just mean in general most likely nes or atari

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
:1eyealien
Well, if you don't specify otherwise, we'll assume n64 since it's what this forum's core is based on :)
But errr, I don't know of any sites for other emulation. You still have to have these requirements, though...emulators aren't easy to do.

Cyberman

zopphar's domain is a good place to start actually they have quite a bit of information on age old systems. However it's run by someone other than zophar (who from my understanding left it a LONG time ago). Anyhow www.zophar.net for browsing system information.

As for where to start, appraise the system you want to emulate. It might also help if you have material (aka programs) and interest in the system (IE I use to have a color computer 3 and there .. yada).

Good fortune.

mesman00

What's that...?
Originally posted by Doomulation
and have about 3 years of coding experience.

i don't know if that is completely true. Look at Zilmar for example, i think i read in an interview that he only had one year experience with C before starting PJ. What you really need is alot of time and alot of patience. You also can't expect immediate results, as these projects can become rather large and time intensive. This is basically the reason why i haven't gotten around to working on anything more than basic stuff (i tinkered around with Chip-8, that's about it). I Don't have the time nor the patience at this point.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I'd say the "requirements" are:

#1 (Very) High (Technical) Intelligence

#2 Proficient with C++ (possible to use other languages.) About a year of experience should be fine. Understanding how to debug running applications is a must, however.

#3 In depth understand of computer science, including binary/hex, processors (of all kinds,) memory, systems as a whole, (basic) assembly language, etc.

#4 In depth understanding of how graphics systems work, and in you are emulating something that uses 3D, such as the N64 (and are making your own graphics plugin,) an in depth understand of 3D rendering, textures, models, etc. as well as DirectX and/or OpenGL and/or Glide.

#5 A L-O-T of time

#6 A L-O-T of patience

#7 The ability to deal with failure & dissapointment coupled with the drive to succeed.

If you meet the above minimum requirements, get cracking :p

Remote

Not sure about the rest but I guess #5 & #6 would be enough.. Although if you are blessed with the other # it won't hurt...

Cyberman

JuniorZ said:
And what about GB??

There is plenty of information for that as well. It uses a modified Z80 processor and a few other cute things. It's a pretty basic system so you can make an EMU for it. Granted it probably won't be earth shattering but :) you could learn a LOT! :)

Cyb