What's new

N64 soundcard - midi and music

thomaz

This may not be the right place to ask, but if someone's into music and midis, please read.....please correct em If I'm wrong at something

All cartridge-based systems uses midi to create music - right? Like Genesis, SNES and even N64 (then a powerful soundcard!)
Which means there is a soundcard inside the system, just like a soundcard as in our computers.

Now, this means there is a set of voices in the soundcard - like the
SoundBlaster PCI 128. Right?
Then there is several instruments - in several variations, for example 4 versions of a drum pattern, bass etc. ....?

Which means: the music in for example level 1 in mario 64 or conker's bad fur day is set up like this:

channel 1 - grand piano 2
channel 2 - slap bass 1
channel 7 - rock drum
and so on. as many channels as you like. The cartdrige comes with a set of midis, which only consists of notes...and the N64 soundcard can be ripped and put into my keyboard?????

OR AM I FAKE -THE SYSTEM HAS A SYNTH WHICH PROGRAMMS THE SOUNDS - in X variations . I've never played two games which uses the same instruments (that's just me).

If so, each game has its own instruments - programmed with its own reverbs, DSP effects, digital effects, and many sytnh functions which can make X sounds out of one sound.

sorry bad explanations (that's just me :blush: )

Remote

Afaik the N64 doesn't have a sound card/chip and does audio realtime on the RSP, so what you are reaching for isn't possible.