What's new

Question for Rice (of Rice's Daedelus) about buffering

CaptainN

In the Render Buffer Setting Popup (the comic bubble tooltip thing) you mention that the real n64 uses different buffer modes (like triple buffer etc).

Do you ever plan to implement a choice that will match whatever the n64 is using? I don't know how useful that would be, but it would be cool, for us purists (well as pure as you can get with an emu ;-)).

Cyberman

Well now that you mention this he was working on it. Because he asked about triple buffering in OGL in the programing forum.

As for being a purest, well reality is sometimes you just can do that. If you wanted to be a REAL purest then you would emulate the entire hardware 100% and nothing more. This of course would likely mean some pretty slow game play. Sounds like what you want my guess ;) 5 fps on a 2.4ghz P4 my fav.

Cyb

Rice

Emulator Developer
In the Render Buffer Setting Popup (the comic bubble tooltip thing) you mention that the real n64 uses different buffer modes (like triple buffer etc).
Do you ever plan to implement a choice that will match whatever the n64 is using? I don't know how useful that would be, but it would be cool, for us purists (well as pure as you can get with an emu ;-)).

I hope I can do it, but I can not do it in either DirectX or OpenGL.

N64 frame buffers are just memory blocks in N64 RDRAM. N64 programs can set the buffer pointers and sizes, render into it. There is no flip chains, number of buffers, buffer sizes, front buffer/back buffer limitions. N64 programs can even render into the current display buffer.

Limitions in DirectX or OpenGL prevent me from emulating the N64 buffer in the way why should be.

Shin_Gouki

->N64 frame buffers are just memory blocks in N64 RDRAM. N64 programs can set the buffer pointers and sizes, render into it. There is no flip chains, number of buffers, buffer sizes, front buffer/back buffer limitions. N64 programs can even render into the current display buffer.

O_O
Most impressive hm when i´ll get closer to N64 HW may i understand why this is so difficult to implement in DX or OpenGL
any suggestions for technical Stuff about N64?? some docs perhaps?
wbr Shin Gouki

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Rice, have you looked into Multiple Render Targets in DirectX? :) That should give you most of the options you want, if you play with it for a while.