What's new

N64 Controller commands

blight

Hi!

I'm trying to connect my N64 controller to my PC over serial port using an 4 MHz AVR microcontroller (i wanna write some code-framework for my plugin for rumble pak support)
I need to know which commands does a N64 controller understand and how does it respond?

Also i would like to get it working for adaptoid and st-hans' interface (www.st-hans.de)
Does anyone know where to get a cheap adaptoid in europe? i don't wanna pay as much shipping as the product costs ;)
Also the shop where i buy electronical parts doesn't ship CMOS 4006 for some reason which are required to build the parport interface (they are used to form a serial 33 bit shift register) - does anyone know where to get some or know of any other IC which can be used as 33 bit shift reg?

thanks,
blight

decription

Wow, sounds familiar. I just built that interface. I had trouble finding the CMOS 4006 chips. Lemme help you, go to www.finchips.com There search for what you want. i.e. the manufactors serial number [ mc14006b or cd4006be] anyway I found a place that had four. I bought two on Monday, you may be able to get the last two here's the direct link, I'm not sure if they'd ship to Austrailia. http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...ia=526-NTE4006B+&searchby=PartNumber&x=13&y=9
Order ASAP, 2 left. You can also connect to the USB port Martin posted in a thread in Techtalk about it. Good Luck

OP
blight

blight

Thanks for the info but i found the CMOS 4006 at some german shop (AUSTRIA, not australia...) for 0.15 euro
You will need at least an op-amp i think to connect the st-hans interface to the usb port because it's twisted pair, isn't it?

decription

Yeah it is made for the paralell port, they explain why they didn't chose USB, i forget what the reason was though. Are you trying to design your own adaptoid? There's a site with how to make a USB one but it requires you to program a micro-controller.
EDIT: My bad, I just glanced at the location when I posted that, didn't realize it was Austria not Austrailia.

OP
blight

blight

I think the reason they had is that it was too complicated... i am getting into electronics and AVR microcontrollers atm and trying to write a n64 controller driver for an AVR (see http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR/)... i have found a site (http://cryo.pslib.cz/~cesko/IgorPlugUSB/IgorPlug-USB (AVR)_eng.htm) which is about a project where a cheap AVR was directly connected to the usb port via the analog comparator (usb is twisted pair isn't it?) the guy used some 10 MHz AVR an overclocked it to 12 MHZ (cuz it's a multiple of 1.5 what lowspeed usb is ;)) - AVRs have 1-3 cycles per instructions (12 MIPS @ 12 MHz)

so if i am able to write a driver for a n64 controller for AVR it would have to be combined with an USB HID driver for AVR (the project i mentioned earilier uses it's own driver, no standard usb device)

but i guess that'll take some time ;)

i was wondering where to get female db-25 connectors... :down:

:1eyealien
:wolverine

Last edited:

decription

Ohh, building a USB adaptoid and writing dirvers? I'll find you a female DB-25 conector, do you want it to be solderable?

OP
blight

blight

That'd be cool (i don't wanna "hack" the cables of my controllers)
What do you mean if i want them to be solderable? how should i connect them when not solder 'em?

:D

decription

Alright, www.radioshack.com has the female connectors. Also, for my interface I'm building [the st-hans one] the diodes i bought have two part numbers one matches the one on the list and the other is different. They are listed as "switching diodes" whats that mean, can I use them still? Also, the 100pf capacitor, the way it goes in doesn't matter right?

OP
blight

blight

Hi!
I dunno what "switching diodes" are... i think you can use any diodes which can take the amount of electricity from the par-port (something like 3V?)
Yes, you need a 100 pf ceramic capacitator where it doesn't matter how you put it in.

decription

Alright thanks. i built another one toda and it doesn't work. I install the drivers, hook it up and when i selecet n64 and try to calibrate the bottons or set them nothing happens. Am i doing anything wrong?

OP
blight

blight

My guess would be that you are doing something wrong... check all wrires and connections again. And be sure you use the right values for resistors and the capacitator!
did you use sockets for the cmos 4006 or directly solder them? because you might have damaged them (i think max. is something like 200°C for 10 secs)

OP
blight

blight

Hehe... hopefully i will be lucky!
Are you sure you put all the diodes in the right way?