PDA

View Full Version : Please read: Feedback thread for new EmuTalk

Martin
June 22nd, 2003, 19:35
Let me know what you like and dislike about the new EmuTalk in this thread. :)

Fixed/changed so far:
* Changed the layout from <a href="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/">default style</a> to my own.
* Re-added the old attachment extensions. Let me know if I've forgot one, or if we need more.
* Removed minimum 10 characters to reply.
* Using the all new vBulletin reputation system. Approve or disapprove a user's post to influence the user's reputation.
* Dark version finished, select it from your User CP.
* You may now use a custom usertitle again.
* You may attach a profile picture, 640x480 pixels or less. Put a picture of yourself, your dog, your computer or whatever. Nice feature.
* Old images back. Postbit changed a little, removed report post and view ip and replaced them with images.
* Created a reply button and it's on the bottom right of each post. It works exactly like the old quote button we had for vB2. Click it and it will quote that post
* Computer system thingy back (OS, CPU etc.). And much better this time. If you don't enter anything in the boxes, they won't show at all (view blizz above for an example). You're not required to put anything there anymore. So those of you who don't want to have anything, just remove the default values or whatever you put there.
* Edit post only shows for the poster. (and admins and mods of course)
* New quote and code boxes. New BB Code: Spoiler.
* Display which style each user is using in postbit.
* Get new posts per forum, click the on button on forumhome to view new posts for a specific forum only.
* Your country is selectable from the User CP, a flag will show in your postbit.

Clements
June 22nd, 2003, 19:47
I like everything! I'll have to get used to the new features like the Quick Reply (which I'm using now!) and multiple attachments etc. It also loads up much faster for me than the old emutalk on my lowly 56K connection. I think the present theme is better than the old theme, despite what everybody has been saying (dark backgrounds make some avatars like mine look crappy!) I've found only one problem (although it doesn't concern me) is that the Demo section doesn't work. Apart from that, it looks excellent.

Malcolm
June 22nd, 2003, 20:15
i like the viewing options (linear, hybrid and threaded) they make browsing much faster; the rep options is kinda weird to me but wat'eva

DuDe
June 22nd, 2003, 20:27
Ok, since I don't wanna post a screenshot of it : take a look at this line:

EmuTalk.net > General Discussion > Talk of the Town > Please read: Feedback thread for new EmuTalk

It's right under the post... I think that it should appear on the upper side of the page.

Doomulation
June 22nd, 2003, 20:33
Looks cool! No big misses IMO :cheers:

Jimbot
June 22nd, 2003, 20:45
Hey, I like all the new stuff and everything, execpt one thing: The text. Some is small, some is large, and I don't think it looks very good. Other than that tho, I think its great, along with the repuation thing. It's unique, and gives the commoners a chance to label other people however they feel

2fast4u
June 22nd, 2003, 20:53
kinda missing all the small custom **** we had here .. like the custom style for signatures, the system specs at the bottom of the post, custom style for quotes, etc. i guess i should just give martin some more time ;) other than that .. well ... a little weird to use at first but no big complaints. :)

blizz
June 22nd, 2003, 20:54
quick reply is back and it's improved as well!! yay! :D

Martin
June 22nd, 2003, 20:58
Hey, I like all the new stuff and everything, execpt one thing: The text. Some is small, some is large, and I don't think it looks very good. Other than that tho, I think its great, along with the repuation thing. It's unique, and gives the commoners a chance to label other people however they feel
Please give me some examples of where the text is small in some places and large at others? I feel it's pretty much like it used to be but have probably gone blind after staring at the templates for too long. :)

nephalim
June 22nd, 2003, 21:49
What? How do you quote? Also, how do you use that reputation thingy?
The text is most definetely not the same. It looks like it's in bold or something. The text right under "Welcome, nephalim - View New Posts" looks more like it should.

Jimbot
June 22nd, 2003, 22:07
Like here: compare all the green lines indictions of text. Just make like the siggys and actual messages smaller by a few font points.

BTW, i also noticed that the smilies are sort of random, i dont know if its just me but everytime i write a new message there are diff smilies, i love that

Clements
June 22nd, 2003, 22:09
What? How do you quote? Also, how do you use that reputation thingy?

Use quote tags to quote, and press the blue button to add to someone's reputation.

Doomulation
June 22nd, 2003, 22:13
Yes, I love the random smilies too! Niffy! :D :smurf: :evil:

Plisco
June 22nd, 2003, 22:25
Love the SIG preview :)

Clements
June 22nd, 2003, 22:48
Like here: compare all the green lines indictions of text. Just make like the siggys and actual messages smaller by a few font points.

I don't get that at all. You must have changed an option somewhere or something. Mine looks like this:

ra5555
June 22nd, 2003, 22:54
Hey Martin, great work! :) The new emutalk is getting better by the hour.

Suggestion: can we have the computer specs section back on the bottom of our signatures?

euphoria
June 22nd, 2003, 23:15
I like that using Opera 7.10 on the old version the page numbers were on a box which was really slim and now they have been replaced with brackets(?) []
Therefore you don't have to aim when you click 'em ;)
Overall = nice, takes little time to get used to.

Remote
June 22nd, 2003, 23:31
Overall, kick ass... It may not have all the cool stuff in it yet but we don't want to give Martin a heart attack just quite yet :P It definitely loads faster. And for Jimbot you might want to downscale your text size by 1 to get what everyone else is getting...

And although a little bit off topic, haft en trevlig midsommar?

Jimbot
June 22nd, 2003, 23:54
Clements and Remote: OH man thats awesome

Have any suggestions on how to do that?

I already did the text size thing on View>Text Size>

Remote
June 23rd, 2003, 00:07
Click your desktop properties -> click on the 4th tab -> change text size to normal

I'm assuming your using XP but really shouldn't be any differing using 95/98/2k... Any change?

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 01:16
Hmm, no

I cant attach a pic now... the popup thing doesnt work it cant find the server. :crazy:

nephalim
June 23rd, 2003, 03:07
Quote tags to quote? Do you have to copy and paste? :geek:

Clements
June 23rd, 2003, 03:15
I'm afraid so! The quote button was so useful, I hope it can be brought back.

Edit: Worked it out. Click the quick reply button next to the edit button of the person you want to quote and check the quote box. Phew!

Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 03:18
Hmm, no

I cant attach a pic now... the popup thing doesnt work it cant find the server. :crazy:
Yes, I believe you can only add attachments on new posts, not when you edit your post (bug).

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 03:28
Yeah the text thing doesnt work

Check it out

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 03:30
Well, not really. The brackets are only for the current page, its even smaller for pages you want to go to

Edit: sorry for double posting, but it was two different issues, and i dunno :blush: . But this post is in repsonse to the bracket post

Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 04:00
It's your setting for IE that's fux0red:

"Internet Explorer -> View -> Font Size"

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 04:59
Already posted by Jimbot:

Quote: "Clements and Remote: OH man thats awesome

Have any suggestions on how to do that?

I already did the text size thing on View>Text Size>"

End Quote :)

ScottJC
June 23rd, 2003, 06:59
EmuTalk.net > General Discussion > Talk of the Town > Please read: Feedback thread for new EmuTalk

Appears on Posts but not forums? its annoying to have to scroll down the page and use forum jump.

nephalim
June 23rd, 2003, 07:13
How does this reputation thing work? I can't seem to find my reputation.

Plisco
June 23rd, 2003, 11:01
Next to edit in a persons post is a small blue box with A in it. Click it ;)

vampireuk
June 23rd, 2003, 14:29
/me reads over the thread.....***** ***** *****

Good work Martin!

Macca
June 23rd, 2003, 15:12
Next to edit in a persons post is a small blue box with A in it. Click it ;)

Its an R for reputation :P

Plisco
June 23rd, 2003, 17:26
Well it looks like an A. A as in...
:doh:
Edit: If thats an R then I am blind...

2fast4u
June 23rd, 2003, 17:46
Well it looks like an A. A as in...
:doh:
Edit: If thats an R then I am blind...
its an R to me .. here is your personal dog and badge so people will recognize your "reputation" ;)

Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 18:00

Appears on Posts but not forums? its annoying to have to scroll down the page and use forum jump.
Will fix.

Plisco
June 23rd, 2003, 18:06
Well I am outnumbered...still think it looks more like an A though

Jaz
June 23rd, 2003, 18:17
I prefered it the way it was. Especially don't like the thumbnail'ed attachments - but I see why you've done that (I think).

Noupe
June 23rd, 2003, 18:19
Good work, Martin. Nice and swift upgrade to vB3. I assume most of the hacks and other things will come back in one form or another, so there's nothing I really dislike at the moment.

You really deserve some praise for putting all this together in such short time without any major problems, good job!

On a totally unrelated note, that new avatar of yours, is it the skier-eating wolf from the Windows 3.x game "Microsoft Ski" or whatever it was called? :)

Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 19:00
Thanks Noupe, and yeah, it's the ski-eater. :D

I followed Jaz's suggestion and removed the thumbnails, we've got plenty of bandwidth :)

/me stares at Redah ;)

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 19:11
Plisco: I thot it looked like an A too, but that was first glance. If I had to choose, Id say an A, because it wanted to be that way.

Nephalim: Hover over the green square next to your name. Yours says, just your name, but hover over mine, for some reason someone liked my posta, and now it says, Jimbot is on a Distinguised road. What that means I dont know, but i think its good.

Doomulation
June 23rd, 2003, 19:15
Plisco, it's an R.
It seems that all posts gets messed up if one is. Ie, if one post contains a big picture that streches out the screen; all other posts stretches out the screen, too. The old version didn't do this... :x

Other than that, I think it's cool :chef: :police:

Jaz
June 23rd, 2003, 19:21
Look at the power I have over the boss!

Can we have the blue'ness back behind the avatars too, please? Looked much better that way.

Also must point out, the devide between sticky threads and 'normal' ones is a big improvement.

Jimbot
June 23rd, 2003, 19:45
OOOHH OOOHH!!! i have new thing!!! I LOVE the fact that after you view a new post, the 'unread post' icon next to the thread goes away.

Martin
June 23rd, 2003, 22:02
The "similar threads" is also excellent, me thinks. :)

Btw, we seem to have a problem with managing attachments on edit post. I'll put a bug report post at the official vbulletin site and see if someone can help. I couldn't reproduce the error at vbulletin.com.

Martin
June 24th, 2003, 01:21

Fixed now. :)

nephalim
June 24th, 2003, 04:50
I understand how to add to someone's reputation (looks like an R to me,) as well as have me told how many points I or someone else has, but I don't see how to find out what the user's reputation is, and, if possible, what a specific post has been rated. (And read the comments on that note as well.)

EDIT: Also, as I said in the other forum, Dark Emutalk should be made the default.

Jimbot
June 24th, 2003, 05:06
Originally posted by me (Jimbot):
"Hover over the green square next to your name. Yours says, just your name, but hover over mine, for some reason someone liked my posta, and now it says, Jimbot is on a Distinguised road. What that means I dont know, but i think its good."

End quote

To see what a post has been rated, simply click on the R (A!!!!)

Plisco
June 24th, 2003, 08:54
EDIT: Also, as I said in the other forum, Dark Emutalk should be made the default.

Disagree strongly, the default look appeals more to Dark Emutalk.

ScottJC
June 24th, 2003, 08:57
hmm, how do you add a custom avatar on this thing, not to be stupid or anything it seems theres no way to do it

I the FAQ:
"The administrator may also have enabled custom avatars, which allows you to upload an avatar image from your computer.
"

I think they're off :P

Also the reputation square is much too small

Plisco
June 24th, 2003, 09:15
User CP > Options and then scroll down to the bottom of the page ;)

Jimbot
June 24th, 2003, 10:34
Actaully, plisco, it doesnt have it anymore. Check your stuff before you respond. If you click on it, it takes you to the avitar page, and nowhere on there does it say custom avitars (unless you see the delete custom avitar link)

Macca
June 24th, 2003, 15:04
Sorry jim but pilso is dead right.

Go to your User CP then go to Options (not avatar)
Scroll down the bottom and pick Change Avatar

ScottJC
June 24th, 2003, 19:36
http://www.emutalk.net/profile.php?do=editavatar

Where in that page is "Upload avatar" then? all you can choose is emutalks avatars. I can guarantee i'm right.

You're moderator, so I doubt you won't have the option to upload them. where as I will not have the option to.

Jimbot
June 24th, 2003, 20:11
Not really. Try it. Try to upload a new custom avitar as a common user

It Doesn't Work, Noobs!!!!! Your right Sayargh, they will soon see that.

Plisco
June 24th, 2003, 20:58
I don't see it either, apoligies just assumed it would work Sayargh ;)

ScottJC
June 25th, 2003, 00:06
fix it fix it fix it... fix it fix it fix it... :sp_canada

The Khan Artist
June 26th, 2003, 18:40
To see what a post has been rated, simply click on the R (A!!!!)

...which brings up a box asking me to rate the post.

For the record, I also thought it was an "A". A for Approval, as in Approval Rating.

Oh, and can the sig limit be raised back up? I, erm, had to edit my sig, but it wouldn't fit in the new 500 char limit... :(

Jimbot
June 26th, 2003, 18:57
If you click on that box for your own posts, it comes up and tells you what its rated. But for someone else's, i dunno

Doomulation
June 26th, 2003, 19:33
Yes...I asked Martin about it on IRC but no change were made :P
I thought it was much better with no limit; while it was just kept in a reasonable size.

Mayco
June 28th, 2003, 17:06
i would say it's an A :)

the proof is in the attachment :)

Jimbot
June 28th, 2003, 18:17
hmmm. Why don't you go ahead and destroy my dreams huh?

Doomulation
June 28th, 2003, 19:18
Can't you all see it's an "R"?! I'll show you proof!

mightyrocket
June 28th, 2003, 19:26
Nice edit, Doom :P .

DuDe
June 28th, 2003, 19:50
Hehe, took him 3 times to do it...

Doomulation
June 28th, 2003, 20:43
Erm, it screwed up. Wrong picture.
And you can't change attachment after posting.

Smiff
June 29th, 2003, 01:57
ok so so far i've got (sorry what i'm repeating):

- can't upload an avatar at all, so i have no avatar
- can't quote poeple in replies
- can't change attachments, apparently

some, all or none of the above are a result of me missing the obvious.

someone just told me there's a new vB beta out, maybe that will help somewhere.

Doomulation
June 29th, 2003, 12:26
You can quote peoples' replies. Click the button right to the edit button, then check "quote message in reply" and hit go advanced.
You can also do a quick reply.
But the attachment ones is definetly a bug.

Mayco
June 29th, 2003, 14:43
hehe, nice one doom

ScottJC
June 29th, 2003, 15:00
Smiff i reported the avatar thing too, c'mon you guys, theres an option in the control panel to let normal users use it. i'm sure there is.

Or this leads me to believe it:
"The administrator may also have enabled custom avatars, which allows you to upload an avatar image from your computer."

Doomulation
June 29th, 2003, 16:04
I checked and I couldn't find any.

mightyrocket
June 29th, 2003, 16:11

- can't quote poeple in replies
- can't change attachments, apparently

some, all or none of the above are a result of me missing the obvious.

someone just told me there's a new vB beta out, maybe that will help somewhere.
I can quote always, even with quick reply!

Plisco
June 29th, 2003, 17:55
i would say it's an A :)

the proof is in the attachment :)
Yes so I am not blind :D

Smiff
June 29th, 2003, 18:48
ah ok i missed the "Quote Message in Reply?" button, BUT i want to be able to cut down to the part i'm responding to if possible.

Plisco
June 29th, 2003, 19:00
i want to be able to cut down to the part i'm responding to if possible.

When you 'Go Advanced' you should see the the quoted message there so you can cut down.

Smiff
June 29th, 2003, 19:12
When you 'Go Advanced'

ok why's it so complicated lol. and i have to click this go advanced every time? not really seeing why this is better, but anyway

remember age ago we did away with "quick replies" because they encouraged spam..

Jimbot
June 29th, 2003, 19:21
ah ok i missed the "Quote Message in Reply?" button, BUT i want to be able to cut down to the part i'm responding to if possible.
You just hit the icon next to edit on the other persons post, then hit the box Quote message in reply to quote them. No advances are needed.

Plisco
June 29th, 2003, 19:24
You just hit the icon next to edit on the other persons post, then hit the box Quote message in reply to quote them. No advances are needed.
Yes but that quotes the entire message :getlost:. Smiff asked how to cut down the quoted message. *Cough* Check your stuff before you respond.
Edit: You make a fair point about the Spam Factor Smiff

Jimbot
June 29th, 2003, 19:59
lol
good one plisco
i didnt notice that he wanted to cut it down

DuDe
June 29th, 2003, 20:05

Well, you as a mod (super mod?) probably have a workaround to solve this... Click on your own profile, and then go to User Settings : you will then be able to change your avatar from the Mod CP... At least that's how it works for me...
But yeah, not to be able to change the avatar is kinda :puke:

Smiff
June 29th, 2003, 20:46
well i can't see the option for that but thanks, i'm just gonna wait until this gets out of beta and people have a chance to sort these things out, no point fighting it :)

DuDe
June 29th, 2003, 21:02
OK, another thing that bothers me : the boards no longer show how many new messages/posts were posted since my last visit...

Martin
June 29th, 2003, 22:33
OK, another thing that bothers me : the boards no longer show how many new messages/posts were posted since my last visit...
...which was a hack for vBulletin 2. :)

Upgrading to Beta 4 now.

Martin
June 29th, 2003, 23:21
Ugh, sorry about the default images, I'm afraid I can't re-add the old emutalk ones since I'm not at home. you'll have to live with this for about 2 weeks :P

Jimbot
June 29th, 2003, 23:40
I like the new icon looks

Remote
June 29th, 2003, 23:50
Nothing wrong with a little change every now and then but this? :P Nah, vB 3.0 rocks :D

Martin
June 30th, 2003, 19:34
I was trying to move the attachments from database into file system, but something went wrong, meaning none of the old attachments (prior today) work at the moment. I'll try to get it sorted by tonight, but we'll see. I've asked at vbulletin.com for support. Sorry.

At least it seems I have fixed the add attachment on edit post problem now. :P

Edit: fixed, but we lost about 1/10 (1000) of our attachments, I hope none of the recent ones or we'll have to use the backup from right before we upgraded to vb3.

blizz
June 30th, 2003, 20:09
I was trying to move the attachments from database into file system, but something went wrong, meaning none of the old attachments (prior today) work at the moment. I'll try to get it sorted by tonight, but we'll see. I've asked at vbulletin.com for support. Sorry.

At least it seems I have fixed the add attachment on edit post problem now. :P

Edit: fixed, but we lost about 1/10 (1000) of our attachments, I hope none of the recent ones or we'll have to use the backup from right before we upgraded to vb3.
eh, it'd be just as easy to get the person to edit their post and upload a new attachment ;)

Slougi
June 30th, 2003, 20:42
You don't always _have_ those attachments anymore.

blizz
June 30th, 2003, 20:54
well then they obviously weren't that important then! ;)

Jimbot
June 30th, 2003, 21:42
Well, I attach something by uploading it from my desktop where i saved it. Then, once its up on the internet, I don't need it anymore! So I delete it. Good point slougi

blizz
June 30th, 2003, 22:55
Well, I attach something by uploading it from my desktop where i saved it. Then, once its up on the internet, I don't need it anymore! So I delete it. Good point slougi
see my above message ;)

Jimbot
June 30th, 2003, 22:57
lol

they could have been...

Martin
July 1st, 2003, 12:15
Yeah exactly. Unless someone bytches we'll be fine ;)

vampireuk
July 1st, 2003, 13:17
And if anyone *****es this temp ban feature could come in useful ;)

Remote
July 7th, 2003, 21:32
I don't know how much work this would be but any possibility of having the new posts since my last visit displayed on the first page, don't know if anyone else but me would want this but I have a hinch it could work out quite nice.

Although it's only a click away so it's probaly a overhead of work...

Martin
July 8th, 2003, 15:10
I don't know how much work this would be but any possibility of having the new posts since my last visit displayed on the first page, don't know if anyone else but me would want this but I have a hinch it could work out quite nice.

Although it's only a click away so it's probaly a overhead of work...
Well you have the "Welcome, Remote - View New Posts" in bold on top of each page (in the box), so it's on the first page as well.

Remote
July 8th, 2003, 16:00
Yes, I was more thinking of having the new posts page included between that the box that "Welcome R..." and the "What's going on" box below, but I guess the way it is now, with it being one click away from every page, it more then fine. :D

alexa999
July 13th, 2003, 03:23
EmuTalk needs a couple of more themes. :plain: But otherwise its great! :D

Martin
July 13th, 2003, 03:27
Testing quote box

Testing code box

Testing spoiler code

Jimbot
July 13th, 2003, 04:31
Testing, one, two, three, testing...

:D

Jaz
July 18th, 2003, 21:51
Love the new flags! (I was actually gonna suggest it!) ;)

Macca
July 19th, 2003, 05:16
yeh flags are a great idea. same with the spoiler box

say 'spoiler' 10 times really fast....doesnt it sound weird?

Jimbot
July 19th, 2003, 05:50
Yeah. Other than highlighting the box, is there any other programmed way to find out what spoilers say?

alexa999
July 19th, 2003, 16:28
yeh flags are a great idea. same with the spoiler box

say 'spoiler' 10 times really fast....doesnt it sound weird?
That spoiler thing is cool!!! :D

P.S. Spoiler does sound weird after you say it ten times fast. :happy:

Let me try! This is a test.

Martin
July 19th, 2003, 22:51
Yeah. Other than highlighting the box, is there any other programmed way to find out what spoilers say?
Nup, and it's not meant to be anything advanced. :)

blizz
July 20th, 2003, 00:48
the flag thing is cool, although we need a Euro flag as well, it'll pwn us all one day....

Remote
July 20th, 2003, 23:11
I was looking through the "show me your desktop thread" earlier this week, any possibility of incoporating something like that into our profiles, i.e my desktop, fonts, window manager, etc. The idea isn't very well thoughtrough but well done it could turn out to be a nice add-on. Or not...