What's new

VisualBoyAdvance 1.5.1 released!

lario

The Smart One
Find it here!
What's new:

Core changes:
- minor rendering optimization
- added support for AR codes (thanks Parasytic and PokemonHacker)
- no longer allow L+R or U+D to be reported as pressed
- fixed RTC problem on last day of the month
- fixed bug with some cheat codes that caused an invalid ROM patch
- fixed sound mixing problem with DS ratio (thanks PokemonHacker)

Windows:
- added skin button support
- added AVI sound support (thanks to phaeron)
- all accelerators can now be customized or removed
- fixed full screen problem in OpenGL mode
- fixed some problems with stretch to fit
- main skin region is now optional for pure rectangular skins

SDL version:
- changed default separator on config file to a equal sign
- changed pause when inactive default to false to fix problems debugging

Porting:
- added PowerPC assembly code (thanks Jeffrey Lim)

Also, I've updated the GUI version of the RegionCreator. It fixed several bugs and it works on Win 95/98/Me computers now.

Forgotten

Clements

Yay! It runs better than before even with every bell and whistle enabled! I can't detect any crackly sound anymore too, at 44kHz with low pass filter! Forgotten has done himself proud :)

straight

I've been looking around and have not been able to find some information about how to get more speed out of this emulator (for instance, is it better to run in one of the "full screen" modes, or to just maximize the window? Which of the filters are the fastest?). The tips in the official FAQ are pretty brief.

Is there a thread or another FAQ anyone could point me to?

Cyberman

straight said:
I've been looking around and have not been able to find some information about how to get more speed out of this emulator (for instance, is it better to run in one of the "full screen" modes, or to just maximize the window? Which of the filters are the fastest?). The tips in the official FAQ are pretty brief.

Is there a thread or another FAQ anyone could point me to?
  • No filtering is the fastest option.
  • Full screen is faster but if you are doing anything else, it's not recomended.
  • Yes the official faq is brief because there aren't a whole lot of tweaking options and people are busy.

Cyb

straight

Cyb, thanks for the help.

I have one other question, what's the difference between the different video rendering options?

How do I know whether to pick GDI, DirectDraw, Direct3D, OpenGL, etc? I've tried playing around with the settings some, but it's hard to do much comparison because I have to restart the emulator every time.

smegforbrain

Well, I just got a new computer a week ago, so I haven't had alot of time to test how well VBA 1.4 runs, save that the few games I did play it ran pretty darn good.

1.5.1 runs a helluva lot better still. :)

I am going thru some newer games I came across, and the only one I've had a problem with so far is Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, and it's a sound issue.

Cyberman

Cyb, thanks for the help. I have one other question, what's the difference between the different video rendering options? How do I know whether to pick GDI, DirectDraw, Direct3D, OpenGL, etc? I've tried playing around with the settings some, but it's hard to do much comparison because I have to restart the emulator every time.
You do? (Restart the emulator).

GDI uses windows Graphic Drawing Interface.
Direct 3d uses Direct X drawing functions to handle smoothing etc on the display (see all those options below VBA? they change filtering etc.)
OpenGL uses OpenGL primitives/functions to do the same 'stuff' essentially depending on what your cards drivers are one might be faster or better. :) Although I tend to use GDI I suppose D3d might be faster for my aging computer here.

Cyb

straight

Thanks for the info, Cyb! (now if only the system specs were working, I'd know how close your "aging computer" is to my venerable machine (Celeron500, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3, Windows98).