What's new

A ROM dilemma...

CanSee

Depressive freak
Hi there...

Just wanted to know, whether it would be illegal to download or [J] roms, if I have all [E]s...

Also, would it be legal to download hacked and trainer added roms while only having the original non-enhanced cartridges...

:n64:

FAQ

Hi there...

Just wanted to know, whether it would be illegal to download or [J] roms, if I have all [E]s...

Also, would it be legal to download hacked and trainer added roms while only having the original non-enhanced cartridges...

:n64:

You\'re not allowed to ask for ROMS here, please consult the rules page for further reading. Do not ask again, thank you.You\'re not allowed to ask for ROMS here, please consult the rules page for further reading. Do not ask again, thank you.

OP
CanSee

CanSee

Depressive freak
Ehm... do you read that stuff I write before you put that answers ? I guess not... :/ I was NOT asking for ROMs :p

So, now any topic containing the word ROM would be a rule brake ?

Sad...

ingonab

CanSee said:
Ehm... do you read that stuff I write before you put that answers ? I guess not... :/ I was NOT asking for ROMs :p

Sad...

Mate, FAQ is a dump response script that replies to any posts that appear to be requesting for roms. It probably just matches the words "roms" and "download" <--- like this post... :shifty:

Methinks it should also match "where" and maybe also "from". :ranting:

Edit: Hmm, it didn't respond to this post.. Maybe it only check the first post in a thread or maybe the quotes threw it off. :huh:

Last edited:

Martin

Administrator
ingonab said:
Mate, FAQ is a dump response script that replies to any posts that appear to be requesting for roms. It probably just matches the words "roms" and "download" <--- like this post... :shifty:

Methinks it should also match "where" and maybe also "from". :ranting:

Edit: Hmm, it didn't respond to this post.. Maybe it only check the first post in a thread or maybe the quotes threw it off. :huh:

No, it's the order. You put roms in before download. :)

CanSee: I'm not 100% posivite, but I think all roms are illegal unless you have dumped them from your own cartridge.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Like Martin said :D
It's illegal to sell or share backups. Hence, it's illegal to download *any* roms at all. But the law permits backups of software you own :)

FAQ

Like Martin said :D
It's illegal to sell or share backups. Hence, it's illegal to download *any* roms at all. But the law permits backups of software you own :)

You\'re not allowed to ask for ROMS here, please consult the rules page for further reading. Do not ask again, thank you.

Trotterwatch

I've got a question to ask to those who can see this... is Doomulation a bot? :) lol Think of it, his answers to questions are always very similar - and he never reads posts properly :p

schibo

Emulator Developer
Perhaps there can be a ranking system (based on votes) in each of our profiles so that others can know if the person giving information is talking with knowledge or from out of his or her ass. Maybe this will give some people a real incentive to make sense and not just respond for the sake of responding.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Yes, you may only have ROMS you have dumped yourself. On top of that, the ROM & Cart are "tied" together - you can't sell one without the other - and you can't use both at once.

I like to download roms. Do you? :happy:

FAQ

Yes, you may only have ROMS you have dumped yourself. On top of that, the ROM & Cart are "tied" together - you can't sell one without the other - and you can't use both at once.

You\'re not allowed to ask for ROMS here, please consult the rules page for further reading. Do not ask again, thank you.

scotty

The Great One
nephalim said:

Yes, who here did not do it at some point in their life? I do not these days since I have all I need, but I dont have a problem with it (notice how I have been using pronouns, so our dear friend, you know who, doesnt have to give out his message, no offense).

Smiff

Emutalk Member
schibo said:
Perhaps there can be a ranking system (based on votes) in each of our profiles so that others can know if the person giving information is talking with knowledge or from out of his or her ass. Maybe this will give some people a real incentive to make sense and not just respond for the sake of responding.

omfg thats a great idea. it needs to be prominent, like right under the avatar is the "arse-o-meter" with a rating from "arse" to "whizz" (lol)

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
schibo said:

I don't think there would be a big enough picture of a ass to describe doom though

OP
CanSee

CanSee

Depressive freak
I like to download ROMs. I don't think Nintendo or anyone is experiencing a deficit for someone downloading an old game that someone would obtain illegaly. Further to that, I am more marxisticly directed, and thus think that media and education should be free for all of mankind.

:p

FAQ

I like to download ROMs. I don't think Nintendo or anyone is experiencing a deficit for someone downloading an old game that someone would obtain illegaly. Further to that, I am more marxisticly directed, and thus think that media and education should be free for all of mankind.

:p

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Martin said:
CanSee: I'm not 100% posivite, but I think all roms are illegal unless you have dumped them from your own cartridge.

Here is what Nintendo has to say. They are a bit vague, but it looks like it is OK as long as you dump it yourself.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Anyways, according to USA fair use laws, you ARE allowed to download a copy if you own the original. If you own the original, any and all forms of backup are legal, as long as they stay in your posession.

The RIAA isn't too happy about this, and are working to change it.

Last edited: