What's new

odd as heck issue

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I upgraded some time ago, from an athlon XP1800 to an athlon XP2100, new motherboard. It's a (I know, I know) biostar m7vip. it's ran ok for quite a while now, but every time I start a game (any game), as soon as the CPU temp hits 54 degrees celcius the program either ends with an error (random errors) or the whole machine reboots itself. I had a 250 watt power supply, which I thought might be the problem. I bought a 350, and it worked better for a bit. the fans in the powersupply lowered the temp in the case by about 4 degrees C, lowering the cpu temp a bit, which I imagine helped. Sadly, I live in an area where the daily outside temp changes quickly, and as soon as ambient went from 60F to 70F, the problem started happening more often, again.

According to AMD, the rated maximum temp of the XP2100 is 95 degrees C. It's operating at 40 below that.

This may all be coincidince, but I don't think so.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why this thing reboots and fatal errors programs when it hits 54c?

Trotterwatch

You haven't got it set to reboot on overheat in the Bios have you? Sounds like it to me, so go in the BIOS and have a look around.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Athlon XP's thermal protection (not the diode, the protection) is based in the mainboards; when the CPU reports a temp above X level, the board will stall out the system deliberately to save the CPU from brutal flaming death (See also Tom's Hardware Guide :D).

Check the BIOS's listed temperature tolerance level; it might just be set very conservatively.

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
amusingly enough, it's a pos biostar board, and it won't let me set the heat reboot rating.

I've kind of solved it. I bought a volcano 11 a few days ago. it keeps it a nice reasonable 39c.

Biostar hasn't updated the bios for this board, but I wish they would, I think it is probably set to reboot at 55.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
karth95 said:
amusingly enough, it's a pos biostar board, and it won't let me set the heat reboot rating.

I've kind of solved it. I bought a volcano 11 a few days ago. it keeps it a nice reasonable 39c.

Biostar hasn't updated the bios for this board, but I wish they would, I think it is probably set to reboot at 55.

With the crashing and rebooting, the processor temperature
got a lot higher than 53 C, more like 180 F.

Your motherboard probably falsely reported only 53 C
when the processor temperature was dangerously high
at close to 200 F.

And BTW, was it Windows 2000 that rebooted or the hardware?

If you have a system error logged in the event log, Windows 2000
was what rebooted the PC, which is still just as bad and
be caused by the same problems. You should disable the Windows 2000 automatically reboot on crash option so if
Windows 2000 crashes, you will see the BSOD appear with
the text saying what type of Windows 2000 crash it was.

Last edited:
OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I checked the event logs. I have reinstalled 2k as well, and ever since then, I haven't experienced any reboots at all. of course, I also haven't hit 54c since then either. And I know it's only 54c since the bios temp monitor says it's 54c. unless the sensor is foxed completly. any way to check that out?

Stezo2k

S-2K
well 54c should be a good temp to run your processor at, mines running at the same temp (but just overclocked by about just over 50Mhz) it still performs gr8ly and i've never had any problems with the CPU messin up my pc

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
well, it's either the 54c reboot thing, or it's the 2k SP2 VS. SP3. I don't want to move to SP3 again to test, though.